Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall!

:confused:
Ok so we are working on the '66 custom and we are sanding it down to the metal as it has SEVERAL different paint colors on it. Here's the thing. Our car has no paint code on the Door panel or the Fender tag. So, was it a special order car? According to the vin, this was a V6 car, however it has the interceptor motor. Another trick here is that as we are sanding away at it, we realize the bottom paint coat is Black, however the top was white. Which leads me to think it may have been an actual police car new. This would explain the no radio and no air on the car.

So can you make since out of this? From what Im reading it was a 62E-Custom 2-door sedan, bench seat - with the trim being parchment "Crinkle" vinyl and parchment "Lennox" pattern cloth

Here is what we have of the codes minus the extra long numbers after the trim info.

62E 1D 12L

Again, no body paint code o_O. I LOVE trying to figure this out! Also, one more thing. Is there a way for us to maybeeee trace back where the car was originally purchased? My husband is a police officer so knowing this could have actually been a police car in the 60s makes us more excited about the car! :)

OK Im done rambling!! Thanks yall!!

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
If you are positive the color code is missing (the numbers often do not line-up with the category), then you should have a weird DSO number. 5 or 6 digits are used in the DSO category for "special order" cars. There were a bazillion SO cars, from insurance companies, police and many fleet orders, to Ford executives. How about a good photo of the data plate?

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts