Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have started the body work and paint prep! My question is how much paint do we remove there are 5 layers of stuff. At base metal, then a red coat then grey primer, then Ford paint, then another primer and the last paint job. How far down should we go before "primering" our way back up? Fixing dings and rust and dents as we go. Not looking for a perfect show car, just want to do it right. Plan to have a shop paint her when we are prepped.
Do multiple assorted layers affect the choice of primer we should use?
Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Strip it to bare metal.

·
Registered
390 Posts
To get the best paint job, will need to take it on down to bare metal. Allso you will see all the bad places, that you may not see if you do not take it down. Being that you allready started, you may as well go for it. I take mine down to bare metal and bring it back up. It sures pays off in the end.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
To get the BEST paint job my friend, all you must do is remove all of the paint that is not properly adhering to the original primer.

Once to the original primer and all of your chips have been feather-edged out and everything is nice and smooth, you Primer the entire car.

Then you block sand, or hand sand or DA sand the entire thing with 400 grit, then you spray your sealer then you paint.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that you must remove all the existing paint.

That is totally unnecessary unless there are problems in the original or older paint where it is letting go of what's under it.

FE

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, may I use chemical paint stripper or is this:

A. Cheating my arm work-out
B. Creating a chemical residue that may affect primer
C. A good idea
D. None of the above

More than one answer may apply(?)

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
chemical strippers typically remove one layer at a time. hit it with 40 grit. but be careful not to sand the bare metal much

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A couple good razor blade scrapers and 30 razor blades. Scrape your heart out. That cuts all layers down to the origonal primer. Sand all edges as fe stated. Prime and spot puddy . Thats what I do, water sanding is good and saves the sand paper.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have good tools, just was looking for a quicker way. The stripper pads do work well, guess we'll pick up a few more, and get to work.
We do have bare metal exposed, car is in garage, should we put a quick coat of primer or something over the metal? be a week or two(I hope) before the car is ready for painting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
yes cover the bare metal with a self etching primer/sealer do not use straight primer on bare metal and let it set primer is like a sponge and will pull moisture down to the metal use a primer/sealer

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
As far as speed it's stripper all the way. Strippe4r then a handful of razor blades then wash it off with water to neutralize the stripper then 80 grit on your DA and sand the EFF out of it, clean it up again with grease & wax remover, Put a light coat of primer on it, then sand again then prime any bare spots, sand seal and paint.

Simple

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Shop washes the whole car down with thinner. About 8 of them wash till the car is down to metal. It has one coat of paint everytime though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
One rear quarter done, I swear it got bigger as we went! Turned out to be easier actually to just go to metal, I used those stripper wheels and son followed with 80 on the sander.
can I go a couple days before metal wash and self etch primer? or should we sorta prime as we go? Was planning on aerosol cans of self etch primer...

P.S hey FE, I showed Chris the antennae removal post you did, now we gonna do that, and he wants to remove the passenger side mirror and door lock cylinder too.

P.P.S Thanks for the helps all!! We really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Every source I have asked say donot use the spray cans with primer, if you do it as well has to be stripped. Maybe people here who paints can confirm that yes or no.

I have used it in sections and when I took car to body shop to be painted they stated it had to be got off then reprimed. I worked in a body shop 4 years and we always got it by the gallon and used a spray gun, never in a spray can.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, Thanks RCode. Guess we are going to learn how to spray primer. I have an old hood I can practice up on.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts