Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search here, with nothing found, but wanted to see if anyone was aware of an on-line paint simulator where I could either pick from a template of car outlines - or scan in a photo, and play with different paint schemes on a car to see what works best?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wanted to do that same thing but haven't had the time to locate one. I intend to use pictures and my photo program and use the eye dropper to transfer the colors into this picture program I have.

My intention was to take a picture of the car, front, side, back and use the eye dropper to change the colors on the car to get an idea of how it will look.

Although I purty much know the colors I want. Nothing too difficult. I still have way more work to do before I start searching for a color scheme...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey just saw your thread. What kinds of colours are you looking for? I freelance in modeling and animation, and have a couple of cg Fairlane models sitting around. (66 4dr and coupe) It only takes a few minutes to change the colour or finish. Link has some old examples. If you want I can throw together some different colours and post them here.

66 Fairlane 289 - 3DTotal Forums

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, cobalt blue is quite deep/dark isn't it? Here's a selection of random colors I threw together. Coupe isn't quite as accurate as the 4dr, but it's pretty close, excepting the interior, which I can't really do much with.

But here's some blues anyway. (plus an orange that is probably impossible in reality.)

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parleee,

Those renderings are very cool. Could you do a 64' Fairlane, with paint thats black below the body trim line, and silver above the trim line? Int could be a combo of those two, mostly black though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
FEandGoingBroke: Ah, that is a sexy blue. See what I can do.

shiftthis and Velocity111 -- yes, but it would cost about 1k each, conservatively. (3D models like this take between 30-100hrs depending on the level of detail and vehicle type.) I can do the 66's easy, because I already built the model for display at Siggraph, anything else I have to build from scratch. (My current library includes a 66 Fairlane, 57 ranchero, 57 Metropolitan, 03ish Enzo, 57 FLT Panhead, 66 Biscayne, and spacetank.)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I liked every color combo you put up...I may even consider painting my hood black, now that Iv seen it...

Colors on the 4-door would have suited me, especially sice you could have changed the interior color.

But here's some blues anyway. (plus an orange that is probably impossible in reality.)
Just wondering......why would the orange be impossible??? I like that a whole bunch!!

Thanks for the ideas, more possibilities to think about now....

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the orange, just by technicality. In digital terms it's orange enough to almost emit light of its own. I.e, it would look the same even in total darkness, the paint would accept no shadows. (the wonders of working in cg product via, I could paint the car with pineapple or care bears if I wanted.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other renderings may be better in quality, but just can't see spending any amount of money for something like this.

I found an app called "home decorator" for my ipad (free), which allows you to upload a picture of your car, and color it any way you like. It colors in blocks, so admittedly it's not perfect, but when you zoom the picture out (large) you're able to color picture well enough to see what different potential color schemes look like.

The aqua is my stock/current color on my 64' Fairlane, I re-colored with the black and silver I think I'm going to go with, and a blue/neon green just cause it was different.

Again, not perfect, but well enough to see the schemes, and it cost me nothing but 30 min of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey just saw your thread. What kinds of colours are you looking for? I freelance in modeling and animation, and have a couple of cg Fairlane models sitting around. (66 4dr and coupe) It only takes a few minutes to change the colour or finish. Link has some old examples. If you want I can throw together some different colours and post them here.

I would prob pay to get that done for my car. Using it as motivation! Awesome work!

·
Registered
86 Posts

If you're bored I would love to see a version in dark green (bullitt style) with newer Mustang GT style wheels (light grey 5 spoke kind), black interior.

Pretty awesome work btw. The details are superb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts