Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some paint on my car, question I have is how much prep is needed for a good paint job to stick?
My problem is the paint thats on there now is about 25 years old and it was cheap paint when it was new, it's now faded and flaking/crazing in some spots. Does it need to be completely taken off or should I sand till I get to good solid paint underneath?
thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
It really depends on how good of a paint job you want, how much you want to spend, and what you want it to look like. The more prep work you do the better the results. If that was my car and the paint was peeling like you described I would take it to bare metal. Over time left on bad paint from underneath can cause problems with the new paint on top. With the amount of time and money it takes to paint a car just do it right the first time. You will be glad you did when it is all over. Remember anybody can shoot paint on a car but it is the surface that the paint lays on that shows how good the job was done. Its all in the prep!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EricButler on 3/31/06 10:58pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EricButler on 4/3/06 9:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I prep cars for a living.on my car i sanding the whole car down with 320 then i primed the car.the old paint wasnt that bad.i just didnt want a lot of paint build up that why i sand it to get some of the old paint off. as you can see in the pic. the car came out pretty good. the car was not wet sanded and buff either!. but when my brother repaints my car in a few months i am only going use 400 or 800 sand paper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts