Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common practice for people to paint their engine blocks INCLUDING valve covers? I'm gonna be selling my 68 XL soon and the car I'm eyeballing has the entire engine painted, below is a picture. I've never seen an engine block completely painted the way it is:

·
Registered
614 Posts
ive always felt that someone is hiding something when they paint an entire engine in that manner. But if you can crack it open or have some sort of way to take it back to the original owner if it is a dud then by all means do it.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Thats just a "Gomer" paint job. Something I would never do, Well maybe - only if I was working at a shop and more worried about getting paid at the end of the shift than doing it right.

It might be a good engine underneath. Not everyone is overly concerned about drips and runs on something no one is going to see every day. From what I've seen, very few "normal" drivers ever wash there engines or even clean out mud, dirt, or road salt from fenders either. Can you hear the rust forming on "winter" cars in the Lake states all the way to OKlahoma.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I think a lot of engines were painted that way at the factory originally. Still, it looks "gomery"!!
Fords used to have the original oil filter painted blue and yes that's a Pontiac but that blue is 70's colour as the 60's ones were a cool metallic blue. First time you start it up you get to watch the paint burn off the heads by the exhaust ports! Stu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Like I said I'm selling my 68 XL, hate to do it but...with the 302 its just way too underpowered. Problem is, its in such good condition, I'm not about to start pulling perfectly good components out of it, just to make it faster, besides I couldn't afford to do that anyway - I'd rather sell it to someone who can appreciate it. I want a late 60s/early 70s car that has some definite PULL(=Big Block). There just isn't much I can buy for the amount I will get from the XL. The pic I posted is a Pontiac 400, cos the car I'm gonna buy is a 73 Grand Am coupe. Let the comments fly - I know I'm gonna be crucified for that. haha. But seriously my options are limited due to the fact that I don't have much money to start with. If you think I'm crazy, got any other ideas or cars you think I can get for around $7,500 - Has to be a rust free big block and unique, built before '75.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Ok, you're selling an underpowered car to buy a big block car. Cool.

But you're buying a giant 5000 lbs pontiac with a wimpy 400? Not cool.

Well, it may be cool to you, but if you are expecting to be impressed by that Grand Am's power to weight ratio.....well.....prepare for extreme disappointment.

Greg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg, thanks for shootin' me straight...I'd been thinking it over and to and yeah, bad idea. I'm getting all kinds of goofy ideas in my head now that I'm about to get rid of my XL. Believe me I'd absolutely love to get a Torino, but I'd have to be pretty lucky to find a 351C Torino (locally, can't buy sight unseen) in rust-free condition for my money. I've seen affordable Torino's with 302s, but what would be the point of selling my XL - Torinos aren't that much smaller than XLs are they?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Last427 on 10/8/06 10:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Torinos are pretty big but an XL is huge in comparison. The early Torinos etc. were unibody cars. The '72 and later cars were full framed and a bit on the heavy side.
I'd say keep looking, there are deals out there. Stu

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If you are looking for a big block car that is light weight (relatively speaking) why not find a fairlane with a big block in it - S/W are great drag cars and the Fairlane came with all the big engines for towing packages. I passed up one locally a couple of years back that had a 460 in it - it was GREEN! echhhh! but there are those kind of cars out there. The Fords with big motors are cheap because of the price of gas right now. Spend a little time looking around. The best deals on used cars are found in the high dollar neighborhoods - they get rid of them because they want the "sporty" models or whatever happens to be "IN" that month. Keep looking and find a good combination.
Paul

·
Registered
538 Posts
I say put a 429 or 460 in the LX,stash the origanal engine away in the garage,and call it good.If you shop around,you can probably find a good engine at an affordable price.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Last 427,

If I could find an XL like yours I'd drop a 460 based stroker in it with a toploader and cruise all over the place.

Those are extremely cool cars.

Greg

·
Registered
908 Posts
BTW, the unibody Torinos and the full frame Torinos are not that far apart in the weight department.

My car weighs 4050 with me in it (230 lbs). That is with a LOT of aluminum parts up front.

It still will pull the front wheels and has run a best of 7.19 @ 97.2 in the 1/8 mile. That figures out to around an 11.30 1/4 mile.

Throw some HP at that XL and let it eat!

Greg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/point92mach/DSC02792a.jpg</a> " BORDER="0" WIDTH="384" HEIGHT="188">

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GregP on 10/9/06 8:59am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I have a soft spot for the old poncho's. A 400 will make lots of power with wome edelbrock aluminum heads. Pontiac guys claim you can build em for as much as a big block ford or chevy but I dont really believe it. Why not get an old (mid 60's) farlane and put a windsor stroker in it (way cheaper than a big block)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I bought a winter beater so I am able to keep my 68. I decided that since I can't afford a big block improvement now...I'm just gonna wait til I can. Something tells me I'd regret getting rid of a 68 fastback anyway. Dropping in a 460 with a c6 sounds like the way I want to go now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts