Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here with experience painting know the difference(if any) between spraying acrylic enamel and polyurothane?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The urethane paints spray similar to a clear Cote and are sprayed wet on wet. The acrylic enamels were sprayed with a tack cote to start, over reduced first cote then a couple of wet cotes. The urethane paints will in most cases cover in two so you spray the paint like it was the last cote every cote.
The thing I like about urethane is the ability to use accelerators to kick the paint faster. I've used it on parts that were dry by the time it took me to kleen the gun up, fifteen minutes. Thats two cotes of fresh paint that you can handle in fifteen minutes. On the other hand you can control the cure and flow on an overall better than acrylic enamels. You can also put clear over urethane even mix it with the last color cotes, it has very flexable spray ability.
I've also done color sand a flow paint jobs were you color sand two cotes after curing and give it a flow cote witch looks very nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts