Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Bronco that has developed surface rust around the top of the wheelwells. Its probably only a 5-6 inch section thats rusty, the rest of the panel/truck is fine. Should I just remove the rust and paint that area? Or should I paint the entire panel? I'm worried if I just repaint the small rusted area that the new paint will be a lot brighter than the rest of the panel. The car is a dark blue, almost navy....So its safe to say its faded a lot in the last 11 years. What do you guys think about this? Is is worth it to do it myself? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to a bodyshop? I'll put up a picture tomorrow of the rust to give you a better idea.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
yeah you'll have to blend the panel. Get rid of the rust (wire wheel on a grinder and some rust convertor, prime it with a nice epoxy primer. scuff the surrounding area with some 220 or a red 3m scuffing pad. shoot whole area with a 2k primer sand that down nice and flat (dont forget your guidecoat)with 400-600 grit and then topcoat with either a SS or bc/cc. Simple enough if you have the time, patience, and equipment. Or find a guy at a local shop that will do it on the side.

Check autobody101.com forum
hotrodders.com (body section forum)
paintucation.com (videos well worth the price)

Read through those sites and search for rust repair and panel blending and you should get a bunch of info. Look over the basics and then ask a question. I know I was overwhelmed with all the terminology at first. So if you dont know what 2k, SS and bc/cc are then read lots first. if you do then you are ahead of wher I started. The other thing is there is more than one way to skin the cat. One guy uis successful doing it one way and another guy has a different system that works well. about like anything I guess. FYI painting aint easy.

Bill

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The only effective way to get rid of rust is to totaly remove the affected area and weld a new piece in. If you just wire brush it and etch it you'll be dealing with it again next year................ Advice from the RUST BELT !!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Don't listen to those guy's man... All you need is a bottle of nail polish and it will never come back... LOL

The rust needs to be removed on the INSIDE as well as the outside, and it needs to be treated with some rust convertor both inside and outside, afterwards primes/sealed and painted to prevent further rust from forming.

FE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts