Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the hood off my 65 mustang dipped a while back to remove all the paint. What looks like small quarter size patches of panel adhesive came off, it held the hood skin to the hood frame in towards the middle, so now the skin will pop up and down. Any idea what i can use? 2 part epoxy? Any brand recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
A 2 part urethane type. You need something flexible not rigid. The 2 panels (hood and inner frame) expand seperately and you may see where you "glued" it when in the hot sun if you use panel adhesive.

SEM and 3M make products for this. Both take a special gun/applicator

SEM
SEM 39357 - Flexible Urethane Foam - SEM Adhesives

3M
3M

I like the 3M.
The SEM expands and I would be worried about panel distortion tho they say it won't.

Lou

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Common RTV has worked well for me. The SEM stuff sounds pretty cool though. I have to do a trunk lid soon, and I'll try that to compare.

David

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Just thinking everyone, that because I have this piece to put in there has to be a better way than to weld. I will check the sites for products. Do you thing it is good way to place that panel in or welding is the only way

Greg

·
Registered
780 Posts
None of the above stuff is as good as Fusor 800 EZ, made by Lord, it's Urethane seam sealer kind of manilla in color and works absolutely perfect, and it paint able and does not shrink.
+1, Mid '90s mustangs had a recall on them for the hood skin and frame separating much like you describe. Fusor is what Ford supplied the dealerships with to resecure them.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Just thinking everyone, that because I have this piece to put in there has to be a better way than to weld. I will check the sites for products. Do you thing it is good way to place that panel in or welding is the only way

Greg
What piece - where?

David

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
None of the above stuff is as good as Fusor 800 EZ, made by Lord, it's Urethane seam sealer kind of manilla in color and works absolutely perfect, and it paint able and does not shrink.
Fusor is good stuff!! :tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts