Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my son threw this question out at me and I couldn't give him a good answer.

He asked...Dad, I've looked at the various vendors for replacement parts and if you look at them all, the price differences can be large. How do I know which one is the best to use?

Given this is our first entry into older vehicles, are there certain ones who provide a more quality build (either from Asia or within the US) over another? (Mac's, Dearborn, Dennis C and the likes)

He's spending his money on non large ticket items and wants to make sure he's spending wisely. (not like dad at times)

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
ALL of the vendors get their parts from Taiwan. They all get them for almost the same price...

There are some folks who swear by Dynacorn, a mustang sheet metal place, but I've found that although the name means USA to people that hear it, the QUALITY means the same as Taiwan as far as I've seen first hand.

Interpret that as you may.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with FE. When it comes to small ticket items such as a mechanical fuel pump or other smaller parts they all come from Taiwan. As for the sheet metal, you can find stuff made in the USA if you look for it, but you're going to pay a bit more for it. But beware of the sheet metal from Taiwan, make sure you blast off the black "primer" from it. My friends at the Reynold's Alberta Museum (a museum that is dedicated to restoring and preserving classic cars) say that it is the absolute worst stuff you can put on, and will not ever give your panels the proper protection. However anything made in the USA does not have this problem.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
This is CHANGE the car guy really could do without. But that's life.
Everything I've purchased for my project says Taiwan.
About the only thing made in the US this days is laws.
Anyone miss the 50's, 60"s and 70's?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I'll make sure my son reads this when he gets home from school. He can make his decision on where to order from then.

We're lucky, no sheet metal needs to be replaced, but I do appreciate the answers and advice regarding it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You didn't say which parts specifically you are looking at.

No FE, not all parts are from Taiwan. For example, most rubber weather strip is made in North Carolina.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn't say which parts specifically you are looking at.

No FE, not all parts are from Taiwan. For example, most rubber weather strip is made in North Carolina.
He's looking at a washer pump, doors seals, trunk seal, beltline weatherstrip, both drivers and passenger side door locks need to be replace.

Again, not major items, but ones to him that are important and ones he wants to replace himself.

He has the 65-72 Ford car parts book and that's how he's learning. Those diagrams are sure helpful too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ordered all of those parts from MACS and/or Autokrafters for my 66 Galaxie. No problems at all with any of them. Now, if I could just say the same thing for my ignition switch, which I have had to replace 4 times recently due to the chaeap a$$ quality of the part. If any one has a NOS ignition switch or knows the part # please let me know!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts