Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 1973 Ranchero and it has a BUNCH of problems- He wants to buy a 1972 ranchero and was wondering what the interchange was like on the vehicles. Do the doors and glass interchange ? Do the hoods interchange ? Any help is needed. thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As far as I know, on the 72 and 73 stuff, that should be the same. 1974 is when they had a fair amount of changes.
Obvious stuff is the 1972 front clip sheet metal and front frame is different, but I have a '72 Torino and like the Gran torino sheetmetal alot better w/o the battle ram bumper setup.
Wiring in the Ranchero should be the same I would think, unless it's a non a/c vs. ac vehicle.
Other stuff offhand, swaybars, drive train, etc.
If you buddy has buckets, and the 72 is a bench, they'll bolt right in.
Only thing to consider is the front trim is a pain to find in good shape.
There is a decent looking '72 Ranchero right now on ebay pretty cheap, it's just a roller, but if I was close enough I'd buy it. It's out in Tennesse I believe, but not 100% sure.
As far as the hoods, the 72 didn't have a hood lock like the 73 has, just a latch and the opener under the front bumper.
I am funzzy, but the body lines are differnet because of the nose, but I guess if you wanted the front clip could be swapped.

1992 Explorer
1999 Contour

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eliteman76 on 8/23/06 5:21am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about the doors and windshield ? im surprised that there would be differences in the frames.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
1973 changed to the big steel bumpers, front frame horns are different in shape.
If you want, you can probably find a set of horns, and cut and weld them on, depending on what you are trying to do.
1972 has the bumper mount plates as part of the frame; 1973 used a big heavy mount that bolts on frome horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts