Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a non power brake 66 Mustang do I need to get anything from Granada/Monarch besides tie rod ends, spindles, calipers, rotors and dust shields?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grab the proportioning valve and the rubber hoses (& brackets) along with the ends of the steel lines that enter into the rubber hoses.

You will need to make extensions to your steel brake lines since the lines enter the calipers from the front on the Granada and from the rear on Mustangs. The flare fitting going into the rubber hose is different from the the 66 Mustang to Granada, so use the salvaged Granada flare nut. Use the salvaged bracket to connect the extension to the frame.

I do not recommend reusing the rubber hoses, but it is easier to leave them on until you get home to keep the caliper threads clean.

You will need a master cylinder. For awhile I did use a salvaged Granada M/C, but I don't recommend it. I am now using a Wilwood unit.

You will want to add an adjustable proportioning valve to dial in you brake bias. Summit Racing has a house brand for $35-40.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I used a manual brake granada master cylinder. It worked fine. I also hear of people using a maverick unit. Both bolt on right in place of the original.

As for the proportioning valve. As long as you use the distribution block off the granada, the brake bias should be just fine. If you are into serious road racing or something, an adjustable proportioning valve could be handy... but not required.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not a mechanic and would be having someone do the work for me. If anyone is from St.Pete/Tampa/Clearwater area and would like some work please let me know. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well from the donor car you need, at minimum, the spindles, the backing plates, the caliper bracket. All the other stuff (calipers, rotors, tie rods, pads, prop.valve, master cylinder, lines) can be bought new.

However if you want to save money, and the donor car is in good shape, then take the entire brake assembly -spindle with dust plates, rotors and calipers attached. However I always recommend new calipres since the old ones usually have frozen pistons and ripped seals. The re-seal kit is like 10, calipers are $20 or so...and easier to deal with.

Go to www.google.com and search for "granada brake swap"... you will find a gold mine of info.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2002-07-09 16:20, 67stang wrote:
Well from the donor car you need, at minimum, the spindles, the backing plates, the caliper bracket. All the other stuff (calipers, rotors, tie rods, pads, prop.valve, master cylinder, lines) can be bought new.

However if you want to save money, and the donor car is in good shape, then take the entire brake assembly -spindle with dust plates, rotors and calipers attached. However I always recommend new calipres since the old ones usually have frozen pistons and ripped seals. The re-seal kit is like 10, calipers are $20 or so...and easier to deal with.

Also:
Go here to the forum search, and search for "granada" http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/search.php

Go to http://www.google.com and search for "granada brake swap"... you will find a gold mine of info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts