Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a bunch of work needing done, I decided to break down and buy a real life $99 parts washer from Tractor Supply. It's the generic Chinese unit sold by Harbor Freight, and tons of other outlets. While there, I went ahead and bought a couple 5 gallon cans of their PSC 1000 solvent. Great stuff, as it works, and hardly has any odor! This is NOT the water based crap. I also added in a quart or two of Automatic Transmission Fluid to keep it from drying my hands and hopefully help minimize any surface rust. Hey, ATF is pretty good cleaner in it's own right...

Anyway, I got it home, noticed that the metal hose was screwed into a PLASTIC fitting! Yea, a metal hose you bend around to make it spray where you want! They must KNOW it's a bad idea, as they even include a spare fitting with the unit! LOL

Well, it worked great! ...for about a week. After a week, the pump quit working. I also noticed a bunch of dirt from parts floating around in the solvent. Instead of buying another CRAPPY pump, I decided it was time to UPGRADE.

I shopped around for a GOOD pump that wasn't too expensive, and decided to ad a FILTER to keep the solvent cleaner!

Here is the old pump. It's puny, extremely lightweight, and has a plastic fitting the metal wand attaches to!

Here is the new pump. The image on the Ebay ad does not show the cage on the front, but it comes with it. $64 and free shipping.

Little Giant PE 2YSA Pump Parts Washer | eBay

Here's the unit all put together with the filter and METAL mounting that is bolted down for the wand. The filter makes a HUGE difference in how clear the solvent stays! HIGHLY recommended upgrade for anyone with a parts washer! The stronger pump has NO PROBLEM pumping through the filter, and sprays solvent with plenty of force. Pump is significantly larger than the stock one, and about 5X as heavy. lol I also purchased a parts washing brush with a hose that fits over the metal spray wand. It seals over the wand with what looks like a spark plug boot. It's a really nice, stiff brush and does a great job with the solvent spraying out of it. I believe the brush was around $20. The remote oil filter mount was $20, and takes a SBF oil filter! All of the fittings were sourced locally.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Awesome idea Mike! Question for ya, is the pump before or after the filter?

Intake > Filter > Pump > Tank?

Or

Intake > Pump > Filter > Tank?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome idea Mike! Question for ya, is the pump before or after the filter?

Intake > Filter > Pump > Tank?

Or

Intake > Pump > Filter > Tank?
The pump is made to be able to pass anything that will go through the screen. Small debris will not hurt it. After the pump, the solvent goes to the filter... then through the hose to the outlet. Solvent stays FAR cleaner than without a filter! You also don't get any grit and debris left on your parts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the answers. I'm definitely going to do this with mine. One more question though, what kind of rubber line did you use?
I would think rubber transmission cooler line would work well and would maybe be less likely to break down from the solvent over time? How right/wrong am I on assuming that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts