Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
PSIG lives up in nowhereland with you two too?

·
Administrator
21,726 Posts
You are correct I believe. Later I used another carb on the car for a while and found out that for well over 10 yrs I had a vacuum leak right under the front of the carb. A big one! The back 2 screws under the front of the 4100 were sitting on top of the phenolic spacer i had on there to stop the gas from boiling. We ground the top edge off and it ran great. Then I had to give the carb back and bought an edelbrock. It's acting a lot like it did before but have not found the leak yet!

I did finally move into the millennium sorta and got the pertronix in. That for me was scary as I liked my points, understood points and never had any problems with the points other than the initial trouble after replacing them. I had it for like 2 yrs before installing. I don't notice a bit of difference in starting or fuel like so many tried to tell me i would. I never had starting trouble before either. :)

When the weather warms up and I have more time I'm going to see if I can find that devil as it has to be somewhere.

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Check all hoses for cracks and hard and/or brittleness.
Vacuum MUST be correct for trans to operate properly.

·
Administrator
21,726 Posts
He lives a couple hours or so north of me, bout an hour north of Gary/FE. Poulsbo the land of the Vikings and the man doughnut shop. Doughnuts shaped like a gingerbread man and huge. Went through there once on way back from Port Angeles and wanted to finally get one of those doughnuts and the whole darn village was full of Vikings! It was their festival. Didn't get the doughnut, just got out of that town! lol

PSIG lives up in nowhereland with you two too?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Kickdown is a supplement to vacuum, iirc after throttle is open more than 30 degrees vacuum doesn't change as much so kickdown comes into play. The spring just keeps the rod from flopping around. Shop manual covers all adjustments. JMO

·
Registered
550 Posts
How many think "passing gear" is something different than second gear?
I always thought it was a special gear they put in trans. Just like muffler bearing grease and Blinker Fluid.
I keep it on the shelf next to my 5 gals of Prop Wash, Sound Powered Phone Batteries, Relative Bearing Grease and Sky Hooks.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Reactions: rickyracer1983
21 - 27 of 27 Posts