Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adapted a newer style power steering pump to my old 66 style steering system. I had to use both the old and new pressure hoses because the screw fitting on the new is bigger than the old 60's style. (Yes I tried to find an adapter, but was unable too (wrong threads)). Anyways, I cut both hoses, and clamped them together using this hose fitting peice I had laying around. However, it keeps blowing apart. What happens is the inside of the hose rips out, letting the rest slid off. Do they make high pressure clamp joining peices for situations like mine???

·
Registered
508 Posts
Try using a short piece of copper pipe, slide the two hose ends over it, and clamp them on the copper. That's what I did when I bypassed my heater. It was strong enough to hold the pressure of the cooling system, might work for you.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the copper peice you used is replaced by a metal tube I found off my a/c system. It is designed so once the hose goes on, when you try to get it off, it actually digs into the hose. But in my case, its just ripping the inside of the hose out. It sucks. So I need some kind of metal clamp that goes over it, like the ends of the hose... if that makese sense

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Sounds to me like your hoses are worn out, and the rubber is deteriorated. I suggest taking the two pieces to a hose shop and having sumthing made up. Shouldnt be hard, or too spendy.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Go to your local pipe and rubber supply house and they can whip up one for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could also use hydraulic hose, alot of the fittings may work in your application. And I'm real sure it would handle the pressure.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wooo!! Thank you very much, will call him today when I get to work.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let you guys know, the hoseman rocks. They can make any hose you want, they made me a whole new hose, for only $29.. It rocks!

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts