Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of a scam that some jack a$$ is trying to pull. I recieved an offical looking email from Pay Pal saying that there was someone froma foriegn country trying to access my Pay Pal account. It told me to log in to verify my account and had a direct link to Pat Pal. I almost fell for it. I clicked the link and my computer poped up a security warning. I contacted PayPal direct and they said it was a scam. 2 days later I recieved an email from my credit card company saying my account has been frozen. There was a link for me to respond. I called the credit card company and it was a scam and forward it to them. I again recieved an email from Pay Pal saying my account would be shut down if I did not login at the link. I forward it to Pay Pal yesterday and just recieved back from Pay Pal that it was a scam and they were checking into the matter ASAP. These emails looked so real. I just thought I would pass this along so my fellow gear heads would not get caught up into this scam.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Thanks very much for that info.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Yep sir, get them all the time... I only send the reallllly good ones to [email protected] & [email protected], and sometimes they're really good... but most people don't understand one thing... Just because you have a computer does not mean that your bank has your e-mail address....
I see people falling for the locked out credit or atm card stuff a lot because they don't understand that B of A, GWB, Seattle First, 1st Interstate etc... Don't have your e-mail address... I do online banking for sure, and my bank's all know my IP address, but NONE of them have my home e-mail address, which is diffrent than an e-mail address...
I really hope some really smart computer nerd comes up with an Internet sendable TORPEDO to go right into these scammers and spammers coputers and blow the hell out of them...

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 3/11/06 12:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to know how these scam artists get away with this. Does Pay Pal press charges against these people? What kind of penalty does this carry? If this is going on all the time then the penalty is not severe enough.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If the browser address does not start out https: (which is a secure connection) it is bogus.
I get them all the time. I also get messages saying they didn't recieve there ebay purchase. Thats funny because I haven't sold anything on ebay for a year and a half!! MUST BE SLOW SHIPPING!!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
The scammers are always from another country because they are not subject to US laws and it is typically to expensive to prosecute under international law. BEWARE of any business from a foreign country...

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have recieved two very legit looking emails from pay pal as well, they keep asking me to "verify" my credit card info. Bl** me I say. Even if it was pay pal, if they lost my information its on them. Pay pal is not going to do anything but complile these alerts from customers and send an alert back with updated info. It is up to US to be wary!!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hello everyone,

With regards to the PayPal, ebay, and other scams. I am retired law enforcement (aug 05) from the Detroit, MI USA area. We handled many of these types of email scams complaints.

The basic rule for everyone (please pass this info on to your friends and neighbors) if you receive any unsolicited requests for personal information, view these as scams. Telephone, email, postal mail, etc.

I have worked with PayPal and ebay, personally and professionally, on fraud issues. Both investigate fraudulent emails and have full details on how to report fraudulent emails on their web sites.

These scammers are pretty sharp, they present themselves very well and can easily scam the recipient. Once they get the personal information they ask for, the person is basically screwed. As the earlier post mentioned, prosecution is virtually impossible unless your local authorities can find the source (hopefully in the United States) and hopefully your local law enforcement investigator can convince the law enforcement investigator in the source city to help out. If the source is in another country, forget it.

Identity theft is a popular crime and hits home hard, often taking years to clear up one's credit history, often appearing months or years later.

DO NOT reply to the phoney emails as some scammers will be able to verify your email address via your reply. Add the scam emails to your virus protection "spam list" never click on any links for the same reason.

Best regards, good luck to all of us "Fixin our Fords." Do not hesitate to PM me if you have any question on the fraud issues.

Frank
Taylor, MI (Detroit)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts