Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Ford Mustang with a windsor 302 and I was wanting to put some heads that will give me very noticable performance gains. Has Edelbrock RPM intake and has Edel 600cfm carb. Bored 0.060 over. MSD ignition. I was wondering what would be a good set for this everyday driver mustang. I have headers and heard the gt40p's are a pain with standard headers. !Dont know whether to go with cast iron or aluminum.! Any help will be greatly appreciated. (Edelbrock?, World Products?, SVO?, Stock porting?) Looking to do roller rockers at same time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
depends on a few things, how much money you want to spend and how much performance your looking for. one thing you have to worry about is piston to valve clearance. do you have a high lift cam? even a stock cam might have piston to valve clearance probs with a 2.02/1.6 vavle head. If your cam is relatively mild, then a set of Trick Flow twisted wedge would be good. they have the 2.02/1.6 valves, but the design allows use with stock pistons with cams up to a certain lift/duration. you could go with a standard gt40 but that might kill compression depending on the cc of your current heads. i think gt40's are up around 64cc or so. gt40ps are 60cc but you will need swap headers. trick flow twisted wedge is up around 61cc. you could also go with a set of DOOE 351W heads with a port job on the exhaust side and valve job. check ebay and just remember valve size. i think valve releifs in stock type pistons can take up to 1.84/1.54 valves, but not positive on that, others might know better

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car has a very mild lift cam(not sure on duration) and stock 302 heads taking the smaller spark plugs...I think its about a 1976 302 motor. Has the 600cfm carb. How much performance could I see going up to Edelbrock heads with 1.90 valves? I run 9.5 (76mph) in eight of mile right now. I would like to run at least a 9 flat! Has 8 in rear with 3.00 gears.

·
Registered
355 Posts
World Products windsors? Good budget head will give noticeable gains out of the box. By budget, don't mean poor performance or quality.

There's so much out there that you really need to set your <U>long</U> term goals before you pick your heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts