Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys are running these converters? What are your opinions on their quality? I currently run a Fairbanks 3500, and wanting to upgrade to a 4500-5000 once I finish my 408 project. I have run this fairbanks for at least 12 years (well it has been in the car that long) and it has never gave any problems, or been refreshed. From what I understand they no longer exist, but either way, it was very expensive when it was purchased. *******'s stuff looks reasonable, but i don't want to fall into the "you get what you pay for" line either. Any input would be great!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Their eBay feed back is real good - but who knows how many of those people bought a converter, installed and tested before leaving feedback. I keep hearing good things - but I'm not sure. They are local to me and somehow related to Art Carr. The local Art has built some good stuff, but a lot of folks here refer to the old Art Carr stuff as "bushhog specials".

There are very few ******* converters - if any- in the pits here. Trans Specialties, Hughes, TCI, a couple of B&M are the predominant brands. Check also with Broader - they get high marks and are not outragous.

I'm watching for feedbak because I'd like to get a better converter - and I'd like to use a local company. BUT - they are not a sponsor at the strip and Perf. Torque Converters of Tx (in Mansfield) is. Makes it tough.

Update on "local": looks like they moved to Stephenville. Their web site - such as it is - lists a 325 (Abilene) number, but the eBay store lists a 254 number which is in the Weatherford area.
I'll bet they are a couple of Art Carr folks that broke off and did their own deal. Reading the feed back comments, you can't help but think they must be doing something right.

$255 for a C4 manual VB with a brake? That's nearly half of what everyone else charges. Geez how can you not wanna buy that.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 7/15/06 4:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
A while back I emailed everyone who bought one of their C4's with converter within the last 90 days (that's how far back you can view the item that was purchased through feedback). Everyone who had run them was happy. I think I got 8 responses from happy users. I got another 8 or 10 from people who hadn't run them yet.

I put one in a friends car, and it's working great. The converter is close to the rated stall. Transbrake works good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I picked one up for a C4 ,big bolt pattern, on ebay new in the box-3500 stall for $52
gotta love Ebay

I probably wont get it in until fall, but when I do get it in, I'll let everyone know what the scoop is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i bought a c4 from them with a brake and what not and a converter and it is working great.............when i first got it it was leaking real bad from every where there was a gasket and i sent them an email about it and they sent me a gasket kit and offerd to pay to have the tranny shipped back to them to fix it........so they stand behind there products

·
Registered
55 Posts
We are running two ******* converters and they are both great. First one is in an '86 Mustang with 400 hp 302 and C4. Got the 4000 stall unit and it flashes exactly 4000 in a 2600# car with 4.10 gear. Lots of passes on it and much flogging and it is still perfect.
I picked up another one for my '26 Model T coupe just last week and raced it for the first time Saturday. It's behind a 504" Cadillac (sorry guys,lol)that pushes the T to high 9's in good air. This converter works better than my $600 "name brand" and cost me $255. The stall is a bit higher than we planned (such is the nature of the torque of a Caddy,and there isn't much real info to go by)and the man said he would pay freight both ways and do a same-day turnaround no charge if I want to change the stall. Not sure I want to 'cause it launches great and went 1.36 in the 60' and only lost 1.5 mph up top.
Real stand-up guys-check 'em out!

Terry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. With what i am hearing here they are definitely worth trying. Once I get it in I will let everyone know how it is does.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Looks like I might be talking to these guys when the season is over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts