Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Performance Distributors\' HEI 390 distributor

16K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  fakesnake 
#1 ·
Anyone have a Performance Distributor HEI-style dist. installed on their FE? I read the FordMuscle install article on the 460.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/forddui.htm

Thinking about going with theirs...or the MSD ready-to-run HEI-style distributor. I like the performance distributors option because it'll be built to the specs of my vehicle, so it will be virtually plug-n-play.

#3 ·
I am looking to replace the coil, ignition box, and distributor in my Galaxie right now. Interested in buying new and built to my specs. I just spared no expense on an engine rebuild and new transmission and want to stop screwing around with the distributor I have now and get it done right.

#4 ·
well no dizzy is gonna come out the box setup for your app. they all need to be curved to your specs. alot of shops can do that for you though. as far as coil and box nothings made for a specific car or motor. those componets need to be picked for your app. im guessing you want max performance, so a msd 6al with a good coil something high voltage theres alot to chose from. oh and back to the dizzy what im trying to say is that a msd out the box will need a curve, if you dont do if yourself then more money on top of the imo over priced dizzy. thats why i mentioned the ford electronic unit, if you dont wanna save money and go that route then id spend the money on a unilte unit. basically what im trying to say is that unless your racing this car where a tenth or two really matters then save yourself the money. i mean if your that concerned then why not get a programable box with a crank sensor. oh and dont forget to get yourself a good set of wires.

#5 ·
well took a look at that link and not sure what they mean setup for your motor, if theyre saying that they take the specs from your motor including tire size, gearing, and tranny, then id say try it as the prices arent too bad if they really are curved for your app. but if they dont and just send one that has a generic curve, youll be cheating yourself and will have to go back in there and curve it or pay someone and spend more money. so id find out some more info. may be a good deal, just do some research as taking some time could save you some money. oh and by the way boxes and coils arent built for a specific motor or car they are made more for certain levels of performance. coil just needs to be a quality unit with high voltage and good current, the box well something like a msd unit would be all thats needed and a dizzy with the proper curve and some good wires. thats all you need on the street.

#6 ·
I looked at their order form and they ask for many details to build the distributor specifically to your vehicle's specs. Things like vehicle weight, engine (ci), compression ratio, carb, cfm, cam duration, valve lift, transmission and max rpm. It takes the guess work out of it from my standpoint, which I like.

#8 ·
Hi,

I can assure you that we custom curve each D.U.I and/or Duraspark distributor on a distributor machine based on your cam duration, compression ratio, type of fuel, etc.

In fact, each distributor is assinged an I.D. number that we keep on permanent record. This assists us(and you) if you change cams, pistons, or if you want to run the distributor in another motor in the future, we can pull our record on your I.D. number and discuss with you whether or not your timing curve needs to be changed to accommodate your motor changes.

Steve Davis
Performance Distributors
www.PerformanceDistributors.com

#13 ·
Scott,

Can you tell me what diameter air cleaner you have? I'd like to order it in advance. I should also get a K&N filter, too (glad I didn't buy one yet). My current air cleaner definitely would interfere with the DUI Dist.

Thanks again,

#14 ·
What about putting a oval sideways..That would be different.

Im joking! Put the flame throwers down! Sheesh!

They do offer offset air cleaners. I dontk now how much room you have under the hood, But Chebby guys use these from time ot time because of the size of the HEI.

click me

You may need a spacer too depending on what carb your running.
Then again, You can always make your own base.

#16 ·
I am running a large filter on my set up with DUI and it just clears the air filter. Wires are a little tight.

It was supposed to go on my dad's 427 but his dual carburator set up didn't clear it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fakesnake on 3/11/06 10:36am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.