Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building up the 302 engine for my gt40 replica. I already have a pair of TFS trackheat heads and intend to use the edelbrock performer Rpm cam and inlet manifold. As the car will be mostly for street will this combination be OK.
I am in England and we have lots of "experts" and am getting lots of conflicting advice.
Can anybody help!!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Can you give us any more info on how the car will be used?...I'm building a 351W and was going to use the performer rpm package but I was advised that the performer rpm cam was kind of yesterday's technology.Instead the comp cams XE series cam was recommended as it has ramps with similar duration and lift but it opens the valve much quicker for increased flow.The XE-274 in my situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frdnut
Target weight of the vehicle is 2100 lbs approx and has a 5 speed manual transmission. I am looking for good mid range torque with reasonable drivability.
can anybody recomend a better cam choice without putting too much strain on the valve train with high valve acceleration etc.
Incidentally does anybody have any comments about which con rods to use, my budget will only srtetch as far as Scat or Eagle rods. I have seen even cheaper ones on US websites, but not sure of the of importing to the UK

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ebrock now makes a retrofit Performer RPM cam that is hydraulic roller. I have part #2221 (I'm working from memory here) .520/.520 lift, is compatable with all factory distributor gears and uses the old 302 firing order. It's on their web site.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
How much power are you planning on making? Stock rods are pretty tough with a decent set of bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have just got a delivered price for a set of Scat I beam rods and it seems that the cost is about the same as sourcing a set of ARP bolts and having them fitted to the con rods and then having the rods checked. Seems mad I know!!
Target HP for the engine is about 350-360bhp @6.5k do you think this is achievable ?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Definitely. Those heads perform well.

Those heads, a hydraulic cam, with 230ish duration at .050 and .500-.520 lift, 9.5-10:1 compression, and you'll make 360HP easy.

With those heads, I believe you may have to run chevy valvetrain and watch the P/V clearance. I think N2OMike ran those heads or knows someone who has (or maybe that was someone else) And possibly kid vishus. You might try dropping one of them a PM and getting their input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checking P/V clearance not a problem during the engine build, using TRW forged pistons which appear to be notched already. Clearance will still be checked and adjusted.
which bits of the Chevy valve train do you use?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts