Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any problems with the pertronic system. how long does it last and are there any indications when it starts to go bad or does it just stop working

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've had a pertronix ignitor on my 289 for 3 years now without any problems. i really liked going from points to elec. ignition, the idle was much smoother and it got rid of my top end miss. definitely worth the $70 you pay for it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've used the units for 10 years or so.
Back when the co name was Perlux. I've
had one fail, but I suspect that it was
my fault. I had too much voltage running
into the unit. I definitely would run a
ballast resistor of some sort, either the
type that's integral with the coil wire or
the add-on style like on a Mopar. They
don't seem to like running continuously
on high voltage. You don't get much warning
before failure. It ran fine, stalled and
restarted and then cut out right in front
of the shop. That's all she wrote. The
unit involved had been in operation for
about 8 years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had the Pertronics for about 4 years..no trouble at all. Keep my old points set-up in the toolbox in case. don't know if I could get a replacement Ignitor at the local parts store.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You MUST check the coil resistance, as explained in the instructions. Use a ballast resistor if your coil has 2 little resistance.Otherwise, you'll pop the unit. But, why not use a dura spark? the're cheap, U can get parts anywhere and, when used with a MSD or other unit will fire anything. Just a thought.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had mine for just over 2 years now. It seems like it's missing occasionally and from what I've heard from other forums it's not unusual for them to start failing. I'm going to replace it with a Duraspark?! distributer and control module from a 75-80 302 when I get a chance. if you can find one in a wrecking yard you can get it cheaper that the Pertronix unit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
you might consider getting an msd-5. it's the same thing basically as the 6 series, except it's inductive. it runs about the same price as the pertronix. it only sends about 2 volts through the points, so they last forever. i haven't touched the points in my '68 torino in 4 years.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I bought my pertronix used and used it all last year.Works great and no boxes to hook up.I keep a set of points in the glove box in case of failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts