Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your take on these? Are they worth the investment? Almost 40$.
I run a Mr. Gasket 1", 4 hole right now with my Demon, I was thinking of a 2 or 3 inch spacer.

Also have any of you seen the new CSI spacer in the new Summit catalogue, whew over a 100$ for that one, any one have input about that spacer?

How tall of a spacer are you carbed guys running, and what type? Open or 4 hole?

I am thinking about 11`s already, and want to squeeze the most from this little 5.0

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
$40 seems kinda high. Why not be cheep and make one out of wood? Like this one from Moroso:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Dude, you said wood....
OK, what kind of wood should a person use? The Moroso one looks like they used plywood and lacquered the sh!t out of it. I would think a hardwood (oak) might be better. I'm all for cheap, effective, homemade stuff. What type of wood might work the best?

·
Registered
522 Posts
The best types of wood to use are the hard woods. Ash would be good as wood? Oak, Hickory and the like. The problem with wood is that it absorbs fuel and tends to warp. Thats also why the things are sealed and look like they have something plastered on them. I have been running the same Woody from Animal Jim Feuerer for over 2 years. If you check and keep them torqued they'll last.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
What about coating the spacer after it's made? You know, like dipping it in that liquid plastic stuff they make plier handles out of. Or giving it a covering of bed liner. Or what about undercoating? Will that "over the counter" stuff stand up to the heat over time or would it discintegrate and let chunks fall into the motor?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This is also from Moroso's website:

Unique 1/2" spacers are precision machined on state-of-the-art millworking centers, and can be used individually or stacked without the use of gaskets

Thin layers of choice laminated hardwood, bonded together with resin form a natural heat sink

Top-quality hardwood has a sheet of phenolic resin-impregnated paper bonded to both sides

Can be easily modified to your particular manifold for optimum performance

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have been running phenolic spacers for a long time. i like them for the power and the insulating capcity, my carb temperature is a great deal cooler than the intake manifold temp. cool fuel, always a good thing.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is good input guys, thanks. If i am understanding where this is all going I should be using a 4 hole spacer made of somehting that will insulate ( phenolic,wood, etc.) and stack them 1" at a time untill I find the optimum stack, obviously not going so far as to call it a 10 story tunnel ram with 11 gaskets. I am nervous about using wood, but I am not above trying it. Do they make them in the 4 hole variety?

One last thing, has anyone seen that new CSI spacer in the new Summit catalogue, it is on page 98. It looks extreme and the cost reflects it, please check it out and give thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I dont know, thats a whole lot of money. I think I would wait for some tests of some sort to prove its worth.

I had another idea. You can fiddle around with wood spacers untill you get the perfect one figured out for your combo, then you could buy the phenolic one to match. If you had access to a scroll saw, you could knock those puppys out in no time flat.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I have to add my .002.
I have to almost repeat to a T what Chilly said earlier.
Last year, (tho), my 418 'liked' an open 1" spacer.
This year, it made more HP/TQ with the 4 hole 1" spacer. We tried every spacer we had, (like 6 of them), and the best was the 1" 4 holer. (this was with MY engine).
Again, like stated earlier, last year it liked, (made more HP/TQ), with the open 1" spacer. Go figure...........

If you haven't got access to an engine dyno, or drive on dyno, at least go to the track, (after borrowing all the different spacers you can find), and swap 'em in, make a run, and see what happens.
The 'assometer' is a good power/torque indicator in a pinch.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am makeing plans for the chassis dyno soon, sounds like a good place to find out what will make more Nasty for the Stang.

Cant wait but I have to, have a few nagging issues to take care of, but I still love her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts