Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took apart my headlight buckets to paint them (1966 Gal) and now need to put them back together. Of course I forgot how the chrome ring attaches to the frame over the light bulb. Does anyone, or could anyone get me a picture on how theirs is connected. By looking at it, I know the hook goes in the slot, but on the other side there is only a hole on the chrome ring, and I think that goes onto the little spring. But it is really tight and the spring looks like it will bend the chrome ring if I do it that way. Is there a little screw that connects into the chrome ring hole to the spring hole on the frame? Any help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Jim,

are you talking about the retainer rings that hold the sealed beam into the bucket? If so there should be 3 slotted holes in it that takes really short screws... 1/4-3/8" long or so...the springs hold the bucket in not the trim ring (retainer ring). The screws screw into the bucket flange holding the ring, holding headlight in...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mroldfart2u,
(Funny username) On my chrome ring there is a rectangular hole for the clip on the bucket and another round hole for a screw or spring to attach it to the headlight bucket (see picture). I have seen other years that have the chrome ring with three tabs with round hole in them for the screws, but mine is not like that. I think that the spring does double duty holding the bucket to the frame and also holds the end of the chrome ring, keeping the light bulb in place, but not sure. If it is the spring that holds the chrome ring on it would be difficult to change the bulb when you need to and it most likely will bend the chrome ring tab (which they are not bent, leading me to believe it is a screw).

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Jim,
I understand what you are saying, and I am unsure of how it all goes back together, maybe someone with first hand experience with a '66 will chime in, as I am more lost than I was when I first responded to you... lol

The user name started out as a joke a few years ago, but it has worked for every forum I have joined, as its NEVER taken.... ;)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
You are correct the spring does double duty and it is a pain to replace bulbs.Snap on made a tool to hook spring and pull out to engage ring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, that spring holds it all together, and boy is it a pain to get it into that hole. What I have found that works best is by using a pick tool that has a bend in it to form a hook. I use that tool to put that spring into the hole, and also use it to remove it when the bulb goes. Be careful though, I have had the pick slip and go into my finger. It takes quite a bit of force to get that spring where it need to go to get into that hole. Also it seems that the rings for the 66 are for the 66 only. I have rings off a 67 and some off a 65, they use screws and not the spring so hold them. Long story short, don't break them. I can get you a picture tomorrow of the complete set up. But its dark and cold and cold and dark.

Don't know if it helps ya or not.

Coal

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all of yo for the info. I knew that damn spring was the culprit. I do not need the pictures unless you really want to. I know, its cold and dark. I understand how it goes now, just wanted to double check. Thanks again.

JIM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts