Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend works for a demo/salvage company, and I scored a Dart Iron Eagle 9.5" deck block for $250. It is unused, so now I'm dreaming up a backup engine for my current combo. It's bored for a 4.125 bore and has cleaveland mains.

I want to build a monster with it sometime down the road.

So, what would you guys build out of it?

I want it to be bulletproof so the bottom will be forged. Not really sure what heads to run, maybe I'll build a yates combo or something.

Eric

1964 Falcon Club Wagon - Bone Stock
1965 Econoline
408w SCAT crank, SCAT rods, Probe forged pistons, AFR205's, Comp Cams XR286R, Victor Jr, AED 950 602hp at 6400

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etcetera on 6/1/06 7:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might end up with something like that, it would certainly be easier to use AFR's, and they worked out well on my current motor. I've been leaning towards doing something more unusual though.

BTW, how do you like the MT's? I have a set of 325/50R15's for my Econoline, haven't run it yet though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is my pic in the sig so big. I need to play around with that to make it smaller.

Eric

·
Registered
133 Posts
I really like the MT drag radials. This is the second set Ive had on there. I was using the 325/50/15's before and they worked so well I broke my ladder bar mounts and wasted the tires. Ran high tens no problem .Talk about pissed. Anyway after a MUCH better weld job and a gearing change I'm running with the 315/60/15's . STICKY . Spin them up and get them hot and slap your hand on the "tread". You'll wish you hadnt.
. The current tires are 30 inch tall and seem to hook best with 15-18 lbs of pressure.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured out the signature pic. I was over on the number of characters. I took out a couple words and resubmitted and it fixed it.

Good to hear about the MT DR's. I have a similar configuration with less HP and a bit less weight. The econoline is a brick, so I'll be happy to run mid 10's.

4.11's 9inch detroit
C4 4000 stall
Final weight isn't in yet, but it will be under 2500 with me in it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd say a bit less weight. Mine is right at 3370 without me in it and thats stripped of everything but the front seats . OK the headlight doors are 100 lbs of dead weight and the Dana might be a bit of overkill but its the roll bar and everytthing that pushes it ovver 3200.

How do you get under 2500 lbs with driver?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those 1st generation Econolines are really light to begin with. I should weigh my 64 Falcon Bus (same as econo), which is stock, to find out how much I shaved. I'm going to guess less than 3k stock.

I removed a 150lb counterweight from the rear
the 408 probably weighs less than the 240 I-6
The C4 weighs less than the iron manual I pulled out.
No headliner, carpet, or rear seats from the factory.
Light wheels
Aluminum radiator
no glass except for windshield
removed most of the door hardware from doors.

Pretty much went lightweigt everywhere I could. Even the new master cylinder setup is aluminum.

1964 Falcon Club Wagon - Bone Stock
1965 Econoline
408w SCAT crank, SCAT rods, Probe forged pistons, AFR205's XR286R, Victor Jr, AED 950 602hp at 6400

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etcetera on 6/1/06 9:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
377 Posts
On 2006-06-02 10:12, tonys10sec306 wrote:
good deal on the block
Exactly what I was thinking!!
I would look at Blue thunder's 3.8 or 4.2 cleveland head. Right out of the box they flow 380's at .700 lift. With a Scat 4340 lightweight crank and 4" arm that would be a runnin' engine for sure.
How much do you want to spend????
That usually dictates what you build (that goes for me as well)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the budget isn't very critical on this one. It's an extra motor that won't be needed until it's done, or the 408 blows up. If the 408 survives I'll pull it, detune it and put it in a street only car. I have no problem building it over a couple years.

I wondered about Cleveland heads, something a little different but still performs.

I haven't decided yet if it'll be NA or not. I haven't had a turbo motor since my VW days and that was fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My VW was an 1776 with a draw through dellorto side draft on a small turbo, don't even remember what the turbo was. It was a screamer. Shift at 8500-9000 and hope for traction. It was thrown together on an unknown but strong running long block. It held up for a long time, then I traded the bug for the 65 Econo I'm working on now. Funny thing was that was 10 years ago, and I traded the van away about 8 years ago. Got it back about 2 years ago.

I know for sure I want it to be significantly more motor than what I have now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd put a set of AFD T4HP CANTED VALVE SMALL BLOCK FORD CYLINDER HEADS with matching AFD 9.5 deck manifold.

...derived from the latest tricks being used in Pro Stock and V8 Super Car cylinder heads.It has a high port intake configuration to work on small and large bore engines.

These cylinder heads are not out yet, still under development, but will be animal on a big cuber dart 420+

check out http://www.airflowdynamics.com.au for more info

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks interesting. I'll have to check back for some specs.

I'll almost for sure go with a turbo or twin turbo EFI setup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I THINK IT WAS ME. I WOULD GO WITH WHATEVER WOULD PROVIDE A 1.6 STROKE RATIO AND BUILD A GREAT REALLY STRONG BALANCED ROLLER, MOTOR WITH LOTS OF DEATIL ON FRICTION REDUCTION, . rEWCNEL;Y READ ENGINE BUIKLDER ISSUE WHRE nASCAR ENGINE BUILDER TALSK ABOUT ALL AREAS OF FRICTION, HEADS/FLOW, BALANCING,HOT HONING I MEAN ATTENTION TO EVERY THING FROM VALVE SRPING EDGES TO POLISHING LIFTER GALLEY TO CRANKSHAFT COUNTER WEIGHT CHARACTERISTICS.i AM BUILING A MOTOR MYSELF RIGHT KNOW AND AM DOINF THINGS I NEVER THOUGHT MATTERD. bUT GETTING A FEW HORSES HEERE AND THERE CAN ADD UP WHEN IT COMES FORM 8-10 PLACES. REALLY WQELL BUILT LONG LASTING SMOOTH POWERHOUSE.. IT WAS THE BEST AND MOST INFORMATIVE STUFF I EVER READ. BUT IT DEPENDS ON YOUR USE. IF YOU ARE NOT RACING THEN THE BLOCK WOULD BE WASTED ON A STREET DRIVER OTHER HAN BRAGGING RIGHTS. iF YU ARE RACING I THINK YOU HAVE A REAL GOLDMINE.YOU COULD OF COURSE MAKE A NICE PROFIT ON THE SALE . GOOD LUCK pAUL IN LA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts