Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 20 hours of driving on Saturday I finally have my first FE. I was raised right working on Fords with my dad, and had a 67 Mustang GTA I restored in High School, but this is my first FE powered car.

A few weeks ago while looking for 406 parts for my dad's 63 G-code, I came across a car on Craigslist that was listed as a 406. It was a 63 Galaxie fastback, and the price was pretty low. It had been on a few weeks, but I decided to call on it anyways and it was still available. The owner had only had it for a year, but the previous owner had bought it in 66 and it had always been garaged, including stored for the last 15 years before he passed away.

He did have one other guy come from California to look at it, but he informed him that it wasn't a 406 and didn't buy the car. Turns out it was just a Z-code 390 and he wasn't sure what was currently in it. As nice and clean as it sounded, it wasn't worth the 1500 mile round trip since I wasn't really looking for a car anyways. He dropped the price and said he would meet me part way, that he really needed to get rid of it to buy more land. The price was right so I went for it, and I am glad I did.

It is a completely rust free car, as in I can't find one flake of rust ANYWHERE! 110,000 miles and even has the owners manual in the glove box with the salesmans signature. Originally a Z-code with a Cruise-O-Matic. White with a blue top and blue bench seat interior. It needs the front seat re-covered and a carpet kit, but other than that the interior is very nice. Outside it had been re-painted once, and it does have some rock chips from gravel roads, but other than that the outside is straight with no damage anywhere. I think with a good buff and wax, it will be more than presentable.

This is where it gets good. The second owner must have wanted a little more of a hotrod than the 390. Turns out it is a 406, but not the traditional way. He built a motor with a 66 428 block and his 390 crank to get his 406, put a solid lifter cam in it, but went with 427 cast headers instead of shortys. It currently has 390 heads and intake on it, but I have a feeling that those were changed out at a later time.

The best part is that this car runs and drives beautifully, and with a little work will be pristine! Plus I got it at a great price, which is always a plus. At 30 years old I finally have my FE powered car, but it definitely won't be my last!

These pictures were taken today, fresh off the trailer/out of the barn.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Really sweet, nice ride. Share with us what the right price is if you don't mind. We might be real impressed or amused.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Very nice! I'm sure that once you've had the car for a while, that you'll let us know more.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Nice car and my favorite year. Hope to see you at some of the shows in So-Cal.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This car continues to impress me. I pulled the trunk mat out yesterday, which I will have to replace because of the rodents that lived in it, and the trunk is completely dry and even still has the cardboard in the corners. The original jack instructions are still on the inside of the trunk lid as well.

I crawled underneath to change out a bad exhaust gasket at the collector and noticed home-built cutouts about a foot behind the 427 cast headers. When the exhaust system was installed they used 2.5" pipe with caps on it and came right off the side. All you have to do is reach underneath and unscrew the pipe cap and you are wide open...thats some farm engineering!

I also drove it around and the car runs perfect and drives like a dream. It's in need of some new shocks, but other than that its great!

Now I'm deciding what to do about the wheels. It has some vintage Torq Thrust copies on it, in 14x6. They are a 2 piece wheel with a steel rim. They look like your typical cheap knock-off from the era, but the color of the lips make me think they may be magnesium... It is very grey in color as opposed to the lighter silver that I normally see in older aluminum wheels. I don't like the black painted centers with the color of my car, so I'll either paint them grey, or get some new Torq Thrust Originals in a 15" wheel, going to an 8.5" wide in the rear to fill the wheel well.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Watch out for the 8.5x15 wheels. If the off set isn't right the tires will rub on the top outside up in the upper wheel well. Ask me how I know. LOL

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What wheels did you have?

Now I have even more of a delema. I did more research and the wheel on the car are late 60's Cragar Gran Prix wheels. I hate to get rid of them, since they are period correct and fit with how the car was built... Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now I have even more of a delema. I did more research and the wheel on the car are late 60's Cragar Gran Prix wheels. I hate to get rid of them, since they are period correct and fit with how the car was built... Decisions decisions.
I agree, those dark wheels don't look quite right with your colors. But it doesn't look bad, or contrived, and maybe it works as a tri-color scheme with the blue top; perhaps we can call it "distinctive." And for sure, the period correct equipment is rilly cool. (Perhaps those vintage wheels would bring a pretty penny at auction and provide funds for, oh, maybe some 427 heads?) I suggest you table the decisions about the wheels until a later date, and pursue the interior and other work. You don't have to get in a rush to change the wheels. I will say, a hopped up FE deserves 15" wheels, whatever the style.

Edit: I forgot to say, congratulations on the great buy! That's a sweet car.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a difference the wheels made! I found a like new set of Torq Thrust Originals on Craigslist with tires at a pretty good price so I went ahead and got them. It really transformed the car. Being able to see the wheels instead of them being so dark makes it look like a different car. I also had the paint rubbed out Friday, and it looks much better as well. Its still 10 foot paint, but definitely drivable.

For now, I'm off to Knott's for the show.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Congrats man !!!

Wheels look great.

10 foot car lol, i like that, my old 64 Galaxie used to be called " strobelight honey " because under the strobe in a club she looked real pretty hahaha, get her outside and dangggggg.. . . . . . . .

Cruising 30 down the blvd they all look good :D

L

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I like the colors, All cars from the sixtys are just way too cool than any car today. I rather have that car than a new one to drive around. Where are the pictues of the motor?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Awesome score on the 63!..Love those cars and a rustfree FE powered one is even cooler..The new wheels are a perfect fit..Looks 100X better..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the colors, All cars from the sixtys are just way too cool than any car today. I rather have that car than a new one to drive around. Where are the pictues of the motor?
Thanks, now that I have it I think that the color combo is my favorite part of the car.

Unfortunately I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to even clean the engine compartment, but hopefully this weekend I'll get to it and post pictures.

I did get a chance to drive it to a local car show last week, and it got plenty of looks!

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
There is always next year round the same time! The June club meeting is going to be in conjunction with the Junior Diabetes Research Foundation Show Cucamonga-Guasti Regional Park in Ontario June 23rd. Be a good chance to meet up with some Galaxie fans then, if not busy. The only club meetings i've been to that i actually enjoyed! lol Great bunch of peeps. And no, nobody is going to be twisting your arm to join or anything like that! :) Visitors are welcome to stop and say howdy at our/their meetings. I'm too far away to go now days.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The long weekend meant I finally had a few hours to clean up the engine compartment on the Galaxie. I bagged and sealed everything, then steam cleaned it. When I got it last month it had Thunderbird valve covers and a faded air cleaner. Fortunately we had an extra set of valve covers that had just been pained with our 406 parts, so I swapped them out and added a new air cleaner as well. It looks much better and its clean. Next will be black pulg wires and dizzy cap, and a new black coil. Also, I need to paint the surge tank, I'm not into the polished (tarnished) look.

I also had a chance to drive it more over the weekend as well. I finally registered it last week, so it was great to get it out on the road. It runs and drives perfect. The engine is strong, and the trans shifts perfectly.

Next its time to tackle the interior.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've made more progress on the Galaxie. Last weekend I spent more time cleaning and detailing under the hood. Because no one makes reproduction 406/427 4v air cleaners I was stuck using the Mustang version, but it still looks nice. I also got my 406 decals for the valve covers, replaced the battery cables, and repainted the fan guard. As soon as I get rid of those horrible orange plug wires I'll be done under the hood for awhile. The next project there will be much more involved than I have the time for right now.

I also pulled the carpet from the interior and got my first good look at the floors from the inside. As bad as the carpet was, its almost perfect underneath. All of the factory insulation is there and in great shape, and there is no rust to be found. After a good cleaning I went to install the new carpet set, but I had the wrong one so it will go without until the correct one comes in. One other cool thing, I found a partial build sheet tucked into the seat springs. Part of it has been eaten away by mice, but the VIN is still visible.

I've driven through a few car shows already, but I'm planning on taking it to Cruisin Grand in Escondido on Friday night. They are having their A/FX-SS night and I've been invited to park with the race cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts