Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang!

First, I would like to thank you everyone on this forum for a warm welcome and all of the advice offered. I am a member of several other Ford forums(proud owner of a 2011 5.0 Mustang, 2012 F-150, and 1978 F-250), but none have been as welcoming as this forum.

Anyways, I went over to my grandfather's today to check out the Galaxie a little more and get a few pictures for you guys. I intended to roll it out of the garage but one of the tires is as flast as flat can get. Sitting in the drivers seat felt surreal. I swear I could feel him sitting next to me. I found his gym bag in the back seat with a set of nicely ironed work clothes from his days at Ford. Found a few other keepsakes looking around that old garage that made me bust out into tears several times.

While I am no expert, especially on Galaxies, I do not think the car is in that bad of condition. The interior looks excellent aside from a rip along the drivers seat along the seam. Found the manual in the glovebox. The one spot that bugs the heck out of me is the two rust holes in front of the driver's side rear wheel and the rust behind the rear wheel. Other than that, the car does not really have any rust. I checked the frame too as best as I could and surprisingly didn't appear bad at all after hitting with a rubber hammer. The engine as stated before, my uncle told me there is a problem with the cylinders and that's all he knows. Like I said, I am no expert and purely enjoy cars. I am not the most mechanically inclined.

Here's some pictures for you guys! I got the door plate as suggested and also the trunk, to which I found a door panel in it. Don't know what's on my plate, but I do know that I am falling in love with this car. Can't wait to do my grandfather proud and get her back on the road.

Thanks again guys, you have no clue how much I appreciate it :)

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Like FE said the rust is trivial.I didn't have a clue about body work. After GOOGLE and FMForum ,I'm getting the hang of it . your story just made up my mind to get my Fathers "SNAP ON tools and tool boxes'' . He was a deisel mechanic for 30 yr and what some call a shade tree mechanic. I learned alot from him growing up,We'd work on kin folks car/trucks under neath a live oak tree at the side of the house.
John Wayne passed by our house while filming the gas well fire in the movie The HELL FIGHTERS. We had to give them water because the limo was getting HOT.. Of course I was just a kid and was only impressed big long car.
GOOD LUCK ..

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
That looks like a '70 grille center in the trunk. Is it complete?

The bottoms of the quarters, ahead, and especially behind the wheel are common rust areas in the era of the Rusty Ford. You can get replacement panels and patch in some new metal when you are ready, but getting it running and driving would be the first thing. My car was my Grandfather's too, so I know and understand the connection.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Just check the frame.

My bro/in/law bought a 68 Galaxie long time ago. He drove by to show me his new car. I crawled under. Frame was bad.

We went back to discuss the subject with the owner. I stayed in the car. He went to talk to the owner.

The owner was nice enough to give ny bro/in/law his money back.

But, my bro was 6'4 and well over 210 lbs.

·
Administrator
21,676 Posts
I can see good reason for the tears, especially the bag in the back seat!! Looks fantastic and that bit of rust is nothing like everyone said already. When you can get it out of there you can check the frame better, poking it with a screwdriver would be my weapon of choice. Or tap with regular hammer as if the frame is damaged by a hammer it wasn't good in the first place. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts