Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my '73 Gran Torino Sport that arrived Saturday, April 20. No engine or trans right now. I have a 351W I am planning to build. You can see more at my website: http://tim1859.freeservers.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim1859 on 4/24/02 10:30am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim1859 on 4/24/02 10:31am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim1859 on 4/24/02 10:32am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim1859 on 4/24/02 10:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, it only took me the original post and four edits, but I got it to work. Tha's me in the driver's seat, by the way.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dang nice find! Thats sweet you founf a car with a good body nice paint, and in need of a motor. All of the hard stuff is already done for you.

Now where are Starsky and Hutch.....

·
Registered
848 Posts
just checked out your pic page. where did you find that car? it looks perfect. really is a very nice car.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
That is sweet! You have started out in a very good manner with this project.
Just a little food for thought, a 460 will slip right in there as you know. The stock 351 2V in my 4800 lb. Elite got 17 mpg. My 460 with a thirsty 750 Holley and the "right cam" gets 14-15 mpg and I have WAY more power. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Great car with lots of potential. 351W won't give you the performance in that heavy car that I think you want. A cheap basically stock '68-'71 460 will move it along nicely while a pretty healthy 351W still wouldn't run as well. You definitely got the perfect car for a 460. Have the performance match those good looks and you're in business!(I meant the car
)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I remember those cars when they first came out , I always loved em, I think the earlier ones came 429 powered? .......you have truly found a nice one. Congrats Tim........Rare find!
LJ

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
The '72's had a 429 4V available, but were so down on compression that the 351C actually out performed it. My uncle had a 72, light blue with the laser stripe. Our '70 SCJ ate it for lunch!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fordguy, I don't mind you asking, but I have to admit I intentionally did not say in the original post because I did not want to hear it if I paid too much. But that being said, I paid $3000. That is more than any other no engine / no trans car I looked at, but a lot less than any equally rust free and straight car I saw.

I guess my ego can take it. Tell me how I did.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim1859 on 4/26/02 8:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tim1859, thats a good price anywhere, but especially here in the Midwest where any car of this age is a rust bucketwith Bondo slapped in the holes!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
A rust free car in that condition is worth getting for $3000 if you can afford it right off the bat. No paint/body work needed and no interior work either. Just plug in your weapon of choice (hint hint 460) and trans and you're off having fun. Very nice body style to have and that full frame Torino can handle big power with little work. You did good picking out a nice first class ride to hotrod in that condition. You actually saved a lot of money by getting one that didn't need body work, interior work, missing body parts, trim/bumpers needing re-chromed or anodized, or have rust. I assume everything else in the car is in the same condition like the front end (bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box, etc.) and rear? Soo much money and time saved from not needing to replace or re-do everything. Cheaper in the long run to get nice car to start with. You know a stock '68-'71 460 out of a Lincoln would put your Torino in the low 14s/high 13s (around 13.50s-13.80s with just headers and 750-850 Holley Double Pump carb) in the quarter without removing the cast iron intake or removing a valve cover while using exhaust manifolds until your ready for headers. A 351W will need to be built up some to even come close to the stock 460 in that heavy Torino. Think hard before dumping money into rebuilding that 351W you have. $3000 for that car is money saved, not spent.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the encouraging words. I felt I got a good deal, but I am always a little insecure.

The previous owner rebuilt the suspension two years ago. He tells me everything is new. It lloks it and he seems honest. So I do believe I have a car that is just add enginge and trans and go.

Okay, Kent you've got me thinking about the 460. I'll post more later, a coworker just walked in and I actually have to do my job.

·
Registered
521 Posts
thats a VEEERY niiice looking car tim
good job on the find.... i've always liked torinos... thats gotta be one of the better ones that i've seen....

HEHEHE now you just have to pick out what engine combo you gonna run!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts