Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestion (or knew how to fix this). My 70 mustang has a 302 with an edelbrock intake, 4bbl holley, and MSD ignition. The car starts fine and drives great. However, whenever i hit 60mph on the freeway, the engine starts pinging. Also, as the car starts warming up, some smoke (white)begins to come out. Someone told me that i may have a vacuum leak on the intake and that i may need to replace the gaskets. Another person said that i may want to change the springs in the msd distributor to get a better timing curve. anyone know what it might be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got a few questions to ask before i give any recomendations. Does the engine ping in all gears at 60 MPH or just one?Have you tried higher octane fuel yet? The pinging might just be slightly too much timing or too lean a cruise fuel mixture, but it's the white smoke that worries me. Possably a head gasket letting go causing water to seep ito the combustion chamber causing your whitesmoke/steam.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Usually the conditions are ripe for "ping" at lower RPM and WOT ... more or less.

This condition could be created in any gear ... But, obviously highway cruising in high gear would be the easiest.

Do you have an automatic or stick?

As said ... timing and lean condition will contribute to the problem ... correct that as needed first.

If by chance you have a 4 speed, you can control the RPM to a better degree and avoid the "Low RPM WOT" situation.

I don't know if anything I said helped ... but none the less ...

MY Two Cents ... Good Luck

·
Registered
440 Posts
If 60 mph is the only place your getting
the pinging you may be running to much
vacuum advance. Crane sells an adjustable
vacuum advance unit that lets you back off
on the advance under light throttle conditions, with an allen wrench adjustments.
The crane unit also comes with springs
for recurving your mechanical advance too.
I've used these adjustable units twice with
success for the same problem you have. I think the real problem is lack of egr, but the crane unit makes for a good solution.

Bruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has an automatic trans (C4). The msd distributor currently has the 2 heaviest springs on. When i changed them, the pinging was a little less but it was still there.

Could a leak on one of the intake manifold gaskets be a cause of the white smoke and or pinging?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You bet! Air leaks make it lean and
antifreeze makes white smoke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will replace intake gaskets this weekend. Just in case, any suggestions on how to make this process worry free? (don't want to mess this up)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts