Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please educate me on the subject (including pro's and con's) on a street/strip vehicle.

Has anyone installed one in a car that is also used on the street?

Would it cause problems or should an adjustable one be used that allows me to move it out of the way for street duty and yet drop it for the strip?

Is one still needed with Cal-tracs and Ranchos?

Any particular model/brand that is recommended for use in a 65'?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
If the Caltracs are set properly I do not see what additional benefit a snubber would add. In effect the rotational force of the third member is being driven back into the leaf spring which is stiffening up the suspension. If the snubber eliminated this rotation then the Caltracs would not do anything. The snubber would in effect replace the Caltracts and the rotation of the third member would create the separation in the body and force the tires to the ground. What are you seeing that makes you think you need a snubber in addition to the Caltracs?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2006-09-11 19:54, cahorne wrote:
If the Caltracs are set properly I do not see what additional benefit a snubber would add. In effect the rotational force of the third member is being driven back into the leaf spring which is stiffening up the suspension. If the snubber eliminated this rotation then the Caltracs would not do anything. The snubber would in effect replace the Caltracts and the rotation of the third member would create the separation in the body and force the tires to the ground. What are you seeing that makes you think you need a snubber in addition to the Caltracs?
Thank you for your insight--that is kind of what I was thinking and I wanted verification.

I really don't have a known problem except for wanting more "grab" off the line. I was just thinking of some winter projects and the subject came up. I wasn't sure if there was anything to gain or not.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Dennis - I had a pinion snubber at one time and it helped with wheel hop. I made the pinion snubber and it is adjustable. If you have people in the back seat you can feel the snubber hit up against the rear floor pan. After awhile I started to make to much power and the wheel hop came back. I then replaced the snubber with the CE slide a links = No more wheel hop.

Your caltracs should be just fine, No need for a snubber.

Shawn.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BLACK65FORDFALCON on 9/13/06 12:13am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts