Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

Hipo engine builders and the likes usually go floating. They are easier to take apart (well, except for them darn spiral locks) without special equipment. But a lot of street strip engines use pressed fit.

So, a lot depends on what pistons and rods you buy.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
ya really no big benefit either way in my opinion. Full floating give you the flexibility to mount the pistons on the rods at home, but that may be offset by the pain-in-the-ass learning curve for installing the spirolocks (two per side, four per piston)

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
The 302 in my mustang used press-fit 289 rods, and did just fine. They had good machine work and ARP Pro-Series bolts installed. Their beams weren't even ground down, and they performed flawlessly.

Personally, I believe spirolocks are more of a PITA than they are worth... Especially since the local machine shop has a fixture that will remove pistons from rods without damage.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
They may be available but, why? Teflon is to soft to be a good pin retainer. Better is "Nylatron" plastic. Buttons are ONLY used in drag race engines that are disassembled regularly. Using them in any other application WILL result in extreme wear to the bores in line with the buttons.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Thanks for the information!

I have been using those damn buttons for 20 years on my motorcycles and was wanting to use them even on my engine project, I'm glad that I hadn't already bought a set.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts