Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mocked up my 377 stroker engine to check the deck height. I'm getting .012in out of the bore. With the .039in. compressed thickness of the head gasket, that leaves me with only .027in. I've run them with as much as .006in. out of the bore in the past with no problems. Any comments from the engine builders.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 1/22/02 6:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have run mind with as much as .10 out the block and had no problems!!!.12 should be no problem but may consider a thicker head gasket,possibly .42 crushed!!! That what I ran!!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I could just use the thicker FelPro gasket. I should just skim cut .006in. off of the pistons.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Run the .042" compressed Fel-Pro head gaskets and leave the pistons the way they are. I like .010" out myself for the tighter quench and have done that for many years on all my engines(even stock).

·
Registered
4 Posts
A question that goes along with piston clearence..
How can i tell how much lift my cam can have so that i can figure out the valve clearence from the piston. hope that makes sence

cye
Trav

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will have to mock up the engine. Clay the piston, and install the head. Adjust the rockers on #1 and cycle the engine over twice by hand. Pull the head back off and measure the thickness of the clay. It helps if you apply a bit of oil to the faces of the valves so they don't stick to the clay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts