Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is the pitman arm different on a 65 falcon 6 cyl than a 65 falcon 8 cyl ?
They are quite differrent actually. A V8 pitman arm has a small ball joint and stud on the end, which is bolted to the drag link. A 6 cylinder pitman arm has two holes in it. One hole is for the drag link, while the other is for a tie rod.

The link is the post above shows a pitman arm for a 66 to 70 being for both a V8 and the inline 6.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The 5-lug suspension got bigger parts than the 4-lug stuff. Both have a 1" sector shaft whereas the 63.5-64 V8 had a 1-1/8" sector shaft

·
Registered
340 Posts
Was thinking about this. Been so long since I messed with it I forgot something. The V8 pitman arm has a single hole in it, not a ball joint.

6 cyl pitman arm

V8 pitman arm (on the left)

·
Registered
634 Posts
The 6/cylinder falcon that came with power steering does in fact have the same pitman arm as the v/8. I have a 64 i bought new that way. Mine does not have the two holes in it. When i changed it to a V/8 , all i had to do was drop the 6/cylinder steering linkage and tie rods off and bolt the v/8 ones in there place along with the v/8 spindles and drums. I kept the original single hole pitman arm and i only know how the power steering cars were done.
The 63 and 64 were a little different than the 65 steering linkage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts