Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I bought Bosch Platinum Plugs for the tune up of my 67 stang, someone told me that they run to lean and to hot for my car, any advice or experience on these plugs...thanks guys....D.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I run the Bosch platinum plugs in my 514 and have had no problems with leaning out or burning to hot. In fact I have tried several other style plugs and like the Bosch the best.My Galaxie has been 10.22 @ 132 and runs on pump gas.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Assuming your engine is stock (no change in compression ratio) ... and ... Assuming that they put the part on the counter that was called for (in the book) for your application ... I can't imagine a reason in the world why the plugs would be too hot for your engine ... Plug manufacturers would have a huge problem on their hands if they produced plugs that didn't work right in the cars they said they were for ...

A little common sense goes a long way ...

Appearantly, the person who told you that may have had a deficiency

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Any platinums should work better and last much longer than standard plugs!!

Just stay away from "Split-Fire" and any of the trick type plugs.....They can truely cause nightmares!!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
976 Posts
I once worked in a parts store and our Bosch rep told us NOT to gap the platinum plugs,he also said if you feel you MUST gap them,dont use a metal feeler gauge on them.The residue left on the porcelain around the electrode apparently leads to some nasty side effects.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I have to disagree with you guys. I have ran the bosch platnum plugs in my engine before. Not only are they very hot plug, but they are dangerous. The little platnum tip inside the ceramic can easily fall out, and damage your cylendar walls. Platnum is very strong. On top of that, I recently ditched them and got the good old Autolite 45's. Not only did my car run cooler, but a heck of a lot better. Definate upgrade.

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually platinum is a very poor conductor of electricity. The platinum plugs were developed to be used in "waste spark ignition". This system uses one coil to fire two cylinders causing one of the plugs to be fired backwards. But because there is so much more resistance they require more voltage to complete the circuit. This increase in voltage will destroy standard plugs. Platinum plugs produce a worse spark than the standard plugs due to the poor conductivity of platinum. I highly don't recommend using platinums unless thats what the manufacturer calls for. Plus they are damned expensive.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A platinum plug is a hotter plug. I disagree with Hijinks. Platnium is a better conductor and creates a hotter charge. Most of your waste spark systems such as the ford ranger with the 2.3 and the nissian 2.4 never came with platinum plugs. I run a Autolite double platnium in my built 351W and love it. They hold up better and last longer. If your motor is stock why pay the extra money, just go with a good standard plug.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As being in the auto buss. I have had 100's of totally stock vehicles come into our shop with a misfire at idle. The first thing i look for is Bosch plugs. Replace the with the "factory recommended" plug ( nippon, autolite, champion ect.) and the misfire is gone. I have no idea why,but it does happen!
As for the guys with perfomance engines they most likely can't feel the misfire because it is only detectable on a very smooth engine or has a little lope or higher idle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I see it in all the GM's with platinim plugs. They all develop a nice miss before their time. With OBD II the check engine light is on. I always check for the splitfires. I have seen more running problems with them than any other plug.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 1/28/02 4:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok maybe this will help a little, I took the old plug out and it is black and sooty. So apparently the bosch plugs will be ok...feedback?????? So do I stay with the bosch or just take them back and get autolites????

·
Programmer
856 Posts
On 2002-01-28 01:19, Ponygirl67 wrote:
Ok maybe this will help a little, I took the old plug out and it is black and sooty. So apparently the bosch plugs will be ok...feedback?????? So do I stay with the bosch or just take them back and get autolites????
You know what my recomendation is, autolite! If you have good spark gap them to around 45, stock spark I would do it around 40 I guess. But really, you have to be the judge on the spark plug. Just try autolites and see if you can tell any performance difference...

·
Registered
41 Posts
The new NGK iridium are supposed to be better and cheaper than platinum, So i was told by a company rep. Time will tell.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If they are black ad sooty you may want to check a couple of other thing. It might be running rich. YOu may want to try adjusting the mixture. It might also be oil getting into the cylinder. If all the plugs look the same it is most likely a rich condition.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I really think platinum plugs are a gimmik especially the platinum 4's

the tip on platinums is very smal and so it wears fast, platinum can ever be meleted with a porpane torch so what you got a MSD and a hot coil cranking out 45,000 volts it erodes them quickly.
anybody who ever got hit by an MSD knows why

they are ok for a stock motor but anytime you are working with high compression or nitrous such as most of the people in here, you want a colder plug and regular plugs have more electrode to disipate the heat

P.S. as far as spark energy take a good non resistor type plug, like a copper core
and take an platinum Put a ohm meter to them. You would spend money on less resistance wires why put in a crap plug

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lordviper13 on 1/30/02 7:20am ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts