Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here I thought this was a post by some southerner who'd never seen snow before. We've gotten 8" of the white crap so far today so I wasn't in the mood for some yahoo saying how cool snow was. The picture of the snow couple made me laugh so hard the wife looked at me like I was wierd or something, until she saw the picture. She replied with an "Oh gawd". Way to go, nice job.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2002-01-31 23:01, Greg R wrote:
Here I thought this was a post by some southerner who'd never seen snow before. We've gotten 8" of the white crap so far today so I wasn't in the mood for some yahoo saying how cool snow was. The picture of the snow couple made me laugh so hard the wife looked at me like I was wierd or something, until she saw the picture. She replied with an "Oh gawd". Way to go, nice job.
You were close I am from south, way way down south! and we talk funny too.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Does the water really swirl in the opposite direction south of the Equator as it does here when draining or toilet being flushed? I just checked and our whirlpools turn counter clockwise. How about down under?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The toilet only swirls when I have one beer too many more harder to aim.

But yes the water in the drain hole does swirl clockwise... weird huh?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
You are referring to the Coriolis effect... which IS real, but not near strong enough to influence which way the water will spin as the toilet is flushed. The design of the toilet determines that.

As for water down a drain... You can use your finger to swirl it in whichever direction you want it to go.

Here's a site that explains the Coriolis effect...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=toilet.htm&url=http://www.discovery.com/area/skinnyon/skinnyon970523/skinny1.html

Here's a REALLY cool site that explains how practically ANYTHING works.

www.howstuffworks.com

Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts