Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Admins:

First - I noticed that the search function no longer accepts short terms, like C4, E7, 3G, T5, etc.

Second - it also should search with a default of AND, so a search of "little red riding hood" should only return results that include all those words. Unfortunately, it returns posts with ANY of those words, and that means a zillion incorrect results. :(

Could these two issues be corrected? Thanks!

David

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
Update: Searching 2-letter words slows down the site, so it had to be changed to 3+ characters. A side-effect is no longer supporting "exact phrases. Might I suggest you use the Google Search on the site for two-letter words and exact phrases?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

~KM

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Searching 2-letter words slows down the site, so it had to be changed to 3+ characters. A side-effect is no longer supporting "exact phrases. Might I suggest you use the Google Search on the site for two-letter words and exact phrases?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

~KM
I can appreciate the additional server load. You might consider this a necessary evil, as guests (and members) will stumble in here, and just search for things like 3G swap (try it). 500 results, and none useful. That is not a server load along with the following page loads trying to find that simple info? This makes the search function useless and a serious turn-off. A server load for no purpose. Then - if they haven't cussed on their way out - they post the same question asked 1000 times before because they found no answer. Will anyone but you and me now know what search option to use instead and how to use it? Really?

I do not know the load added to the server, but reasonable results to basic searches on a technical forum riddled with 2-character terms seems rudimentary, does it not?. Even cooking forums allow them to find measurements. Also consider my own plight that may mirror others, that the load on the server (not to mention frustration) from multiple searches where someone is looking for obvious info and can't find it would be an even greater load I would imagine.

Simple solution: 2-chatacter search terms with default AND boolean fuction. If the return to 2-character search terms is somehow unacceptable (and the system cannot filter fillers like "to", "of", etc.?), then could we at least have a very obvious flashing sign for everyone to see that says to use the custom Google search bar, and a link for how to use it effectively? And, remove the ineffective but alluring Search bar?

Please - let's have a workable solution to a very frustrating and returning issue. This is not the Rainbow Bright Forum. This is a technical forum. It needs to function as one.

Thank you,
David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just tried it ("78 Thunderbird discs" and "C4 pump valve"), and it's working well! Thanks! Now I can tell folks to search for answers and know they can find them. Woohoo!
:D:tup:
David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts