Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me why I will suffer from detonation and burnt pistons if I use a dome piston in a 351C with open chamber heads. I dont understand why if I keep the timing in check this is a bad thing to do. The way I see it is to keep it cool and the timing at a reasonable rate I should be ok and make more power. It is out of the question to buy a set of closed chamber heads at this time...Bob

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
If you do not have detonation, I dont see why you would have problems. The only problem is, is not having detonation. Keep that is check with better fuel, timing, and anything else you can do and you are A-Ok I would think. Anyone else?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well a domed piston is never as good as a small chamber and a flattop piston for preventing preignition, the dome breaks up the swirl that can help prevent pre-ignition and makes for a poor flame front when the spark is ignited. Or at least that is my understanding of it.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Bob ... It is simply due to the chamber design.

The Open Chamber head was designed with "Emmissions Control", "Reduced Power" and "Improved Fuel Economy" in mind ... and it accomplished that on the old engine designs ... While R&D was underway for engine designs that would meet the needs of the future.

This made perfect sense for the Auto Manufacturers back in the early 70s ... They had been beaten into submission be the ... "EPA" ... "Insurance Companieis" ... and "Fuel Conservationists"

The "Open Chamber" design will burn "Cleaner" than the older "Quench" design ...

So if it burned cleaner, the reduced power output (via reduced compression) was clearly no problem either ... It simply filled another part of the puzzle the auto manufactures had to put together at the time ...

They thought that was just "Dandy" ... I'm sure

The downer for us guys now days is that the chamber design simply will not tolerated any "high" compression at all ... around 9.5:1 is it.

The "Quench" heads will tolerate in excess of 11:1 with no problem running pump premium.

Final part of your answer ... Flat Tops will put you at or above 9.0:1 ... Domes will put you way past 9.5:1

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 3/6/02 7:48am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts