Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping a friend who is not mechanical and dyslexic with numbers. He bought (what was to told him) a 428 cobra jet engine w/ C6 trans & driveline out of a 69 Gran Torino. It has been sitting in storage for years and he would like to sell it. I went online and got some info on verifying it as a 428 & a CJ by the numbers on the intake. (the trans is still moted to the engine, but we could remove if nec for further investigation) My friend says the engine was good and he turned the crank.

Is there another definitive way to confirm it is a 428 CJ.

What would be a fair price for the everything if its authentic CJ? or if its a regular 428?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There is alot of discussion on the 428 , I will give you my thoughts. The date on a cj motor has to be mid 1967 and above , I think thats right. I was told and have looked to find what is to be the 5 didgets of the serial numbers on a cj block of what match car it came out of. All cj and scj motors has these numbers on back drivers side below the heads . If you use gas and wrag to clean the half moon plate on a block you can see them small ingraved there. If motor is in car with a mirror and light you can see it as well. The big vein the intake a 428 wears is unlike any other, it is bigger. Some say a 428 will have the C weld on back of block and a A weld if it is a 7 liter 428 only, I dought this for I have seen differ . I know dif is on a cj block standing for Dearborn Industery Foundery. (spelling). Bset way I guess is to check the bore and someone I am sure will post the bore size of a cj motor. A cj and scj will have the crank stamp as U.A, U.BA ,Look up on google for the correct crank numbers for it is there. A U 1 if not mistaken is only a 428 motor. Cj and scj has leman rods. Just look up on google for the id of a scj motor but watch what some say for alot of info on the fe motor for did is wrong.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A cj ballance will be on the front of the crankshaft round slide on weight. A scj will have what some calls a cookie cutter for the external ballance to tell the differ from cj or scj. Best is to read when you search

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a 69 gran torino..The first gran torino I know of came out in 1972....Assuming it is a 428 how complete is it?..Does it still have air cleaner,carb,exhaust manifolds?..A picture is worth a thousand words as the old saying goes..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a 69 gran torino..The first gran torino I know of came out in 1972....Assuming it is a 428 how complete is it?..Does it still have air cleaner,carb,exhaust manifolds?..A picture is worth a thousand words as the old saying goes..
I am sorry , this is not a grand car, maybe they didnot make one. May be something to look into , beats me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick info guys. The engine is mated to the transmission on a pallet and easy to get to. I am going to investigate tommorow and will be armed with a camera and will post up my findings. This should be be fun.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I am helping a friend who is not mechanical and dyslexic with numbers. He bought (what was to told him) a 428 cobra jet engine w/ C6 trans & driveline out of a 69 Gran Torino. It has been sitting in storage for years and he would like to sell it. I went online and got some info on verifying it as a 428 & a CJ by the numbers on the intake. (the trans is still moted to the engine, but we could remove if nec for further investigation) My friend says the engine was good and he turned the crank.

Is there another definitive way to confirm it is a 428 CJ.

What would be a fair price for the everything if its authentic CJ? or if its a regular 428?

Thanks for your help
There is ONE FOR SURE way to tell if it's a 428 besides the Block Casting numbers and an intake.

Remove the heads and measure the Bore and stroke.

There are literally 8 Different FE engines made over an 18 year period that can be disguised as a 428....

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hummm, here is alot of torinos and there is what seems to be a 69 grand torino so the seller has posted. 1969 grand torino - Bing Images
I think they are confusing the Torino GT or "grand touring" (as that is what the "GT" stood for) with gran torino..The gran torino was a new model for 72...Not really all that important but since there were no 428s in 72 just wanted to clarify what the engine is supposed to be out of..

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If you include the partial VIN from the block as Rcode stated, you can hunt an amazing amount of info from it. In-fact - build dates, factories, and down as far as the original car's seat color and floor mat options. I know of a few engines that were sold with full Marti reports and racing history of the original car, even though the car may have been destroyed over 30 years ago - all from that little number.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Alot does not know , maybe some does. All cj motors that had the c6 tranny has the steal tail shaft. I beleive I am correct. If it has a steal tail shaft on tranny they are near hard to find and cost a bundle for a person wanting to restore correctly. Anyone ever heard that ? I sold one for 500 bucks . Donot know what they cost if you find one but man snapped it up and didnot ask if I take less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update;

I think maybe my buddy was sold something different.

Block # on RH front below head 9J177168 with a double stamp of 9L21A

Intake # C9VE-9425-A

Head # C9VEA

On the rear of block there is no "A" or "C" but a 460 in the casting reversed. There are 2 bolts above the cam plug, 1 at 10:00 oclock and 1 at 2:00 oclock.

We knocked out the freeze plugs on the LH side of block and there was no "428" to be found.

We are wondering if it is a 460? and what the fair value might be.

My camera takes too large of pictures to post unforunately....

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Block # on RH front below head 9J177168 with a double stamp of 9L21A

Intake # C9VE-9425-A

Head # C9VEA
Your buddy has a 1969 429 Thunderjet engine rated at 360 gross HP and 480 ft/lb torque. The engine block was cast on November 21, 1969 between 6am and 2:30pm. It was installed in the 77,168th Ford Thunderbird made that year at the Wixom assembly plant in Michigan. If you want to know the seat color of the car, contact Kevin Marti for a build report. ;) HTH

David

PS: The Thunderjet is a standard 4-barrel 429, and not in the class of the CJ or SCJ. It is a basic version used in everything with a 429 from station wagons to trucks, and a good candidate for building, but the value is relatively low due to them being everywhere. Around here, they fetch $200-300 for a good complete core and $50 or so for a core C6 trans. Other areas get $400-500 for the engine alone.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Ok David, now finish the story. Post the site where you placed the numbers in and it came back with the results. I got a few but need that,lol, good job m, give that man a cigar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks so much, you guys are the best. His neighbor is waving 500 bucks at him for the engine and C6 transmission, I will advise him to call that good.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts