Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having a problem with my front end on my 65. i have the upper, lower and springs mounted but i cant seem to figure out how to raise the control arm/spindle assembly high enough to attach the strut rods and sway bar. i havn't got a motor in it and no way to anchor the frame to the floor. when i try and place a jack under the lower arm the whole car raises off the stands.would it work if i put the hub/drum back on and put the tires on and lower the car back down? any help would sure be appreciated. thanks, wendell.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Did you replace the upper control arm bushings? Often these get over tightened and won't allow the control arm to swing up. Or as you say install the hubs and wheels an lower the whole car. Or wait till you get the motor in! You won't need the sway bar until you take a corner so your motor had better be in!!!Stu

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
rent a spring comp and pull the spring up like it was on the road with everything in.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Isn't it obvious. Just make a telephone call, and say free beer at my place. Then get two of the heaviest to sit on the fender, while you jack it up from underneath. They make up for the dead weight of an engine.

If you owned a Model A, they have same problem with rear spring. I had a 300 pounder and a 185 pounder get into the rumble seat so that the spring could be compressed.

Problem in all this is getting rid of the two pieces of flabby dead weight who show up, iff'n you know what you are doing then and work fast.

Wm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts