Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have mentioned in previous posts; I have installed patriot tri y headers on my 65 mustang with a 289 and power steering. The headers are from CJ Pony Parts. With the lowering bracket and spacing, the power steering cylinder still rubs the headers and considerably limits my steering. I was told 66 motor mounts would raise the motor enough to give me more clearance. I purchased the frame mounts and motor mounts from Delta Bay mustang (they said it would give me more clearnace as well). I had a local shop check it out and they concluded the new mounts will not raise the motor, but lower it. They called Delta Bay Mustang to try and understand how it would raise it and they guy didn't have any answers. This left me with a labor charge, 66 motor mounts and frame mounts, and an unfixed problem. The only thing left I can think of is that the headers are crap. What do you guys think? Please help me out, I'm dying to drive the stang again. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. I included some pictures of the lower bracket and what I'm dealiing with.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
543 Posts
If it were me, I would bolt the bracket to the frame. Measure how much more bracket I would need to clear the headers. Aquire some steel and weld an extension on the original bracket. I would use a full length piece of steel and weld it all the way around for strength. It would work.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i hope you arent going to run it like that in the pic(dont use that homemade spacer in between the bracket and frame it will break off), why not just get and manual adapter and call it a day, or some new headers, heck my hookers clear power. or weld the bracket on and make it a tad longer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ok, I gotta say those headers clearly are not designed to
be used in conjunction with power steering. That's pretty
obvious from the pictures.
1966 motor mounts are shorter and place the engine
closer to the ground. 1965 mounts have the opposite
effect.
I'm partial to any headers that don't require the bracket
to lower the p/s cylinder. Almost all production headers
require the bracket on a Mustang.
You may need to sell the patriots and buy headers that
fit your application. Trick tri-Y's like the 289Y made by
Doug Thorley will do the increased torque thing and
won't fall flat above 6500 rpm.
There just isn't an easy solution at the point you're at
right now.....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
How high does the engine need to go? Why not just some washers between the block and motor mount?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
On 2006-08-03 22:07, 66GT289 wrote:

1966 motor mounts are shorter and place the engine
closer to the ground. 1965 mounts have the opposite
effect.
Have to disagree with this statement. 66' and newer motor mounts raise the engine higher than the 65' type mounts. The 65' mounts are about 1" lower than the 65's.

Most header manufacturs recommend the 66' style mounts as they give more clearance due to being higher in the V shape of the shock towers.

65' mounts were one of the essential parts of me being able to put a Vic Jr. intake under the stock type hood of my 393w.

As to the original poster, any repair you make short of replacing the headers will be a bandaid. Nothing is worse than driving a performance car with headers that are too low.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Nix the power steering. Makes the engine compartment neater, saves HP, and the car is light enough to steer easy. Headers over Power steering anyday.....

xoxo Popeye (Forearms)

·
Registered
80 Posts
66GT289 is right, just about any header for the 65 / 66 stangs require the bracket to lower the p/s cylinder. I have had Headman headers with the bracket on my 65 for over 12 years and haven't had any problems. Headman headers aren't the best for ground clearance but they are very afFORDable and they work great. There are others out there so do some investigating but I think you need to lose the tri-ys if you want to keep the power steering. (I would!) Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are looking for headers that will fit. I installed a set of FPR (ford power train applications) headers on my 67 Mustang convertable with a 351W, AOD, P.S., & P.B.. I gave them my info and they made them, and they fit perfectly.

67 Mustang

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
The '66 style mounts do in fact raise the engine. I would build a couple of shims out of some 1/4" x 1" aluminum strap and install them between the mounts and the block to raise the engine 1/4" at a time. I would not raise the engine more than 3/4" using that method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts