Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there.
I have a 64 Galaxie 500 coupe, the engine was replaced and was told it was a CJ, but
I'm not convinced, since I was finally able to get the #s of the block.
They are: D1VE 6015 A
The cyl. head # is: D0VE - C
Please help on figuring it out.
Thanks guys!

-FDC

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
It's either a 429 or 460. Anything can happen internally, so can't be sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I know is that it was rebuilt and cam with roller rockers were installed.
How could I be sure that its either a 429 or 460? ...would the numbers on the front left
( driver side ), right behind the fuel pump, that say 460 indicate that it is a 460..?

In you guys opinion were 460's nice engines to have, specially in a Galaxie?
I know that there's a lot you could do with them in terms of performance, but would like
to hear opinions.

Thanks a bunch for response and in advance.

-FDC

·
Registered
5 Posts
block-D1VE-6015-AA
Unconfirmed Application. Information may or may not be complete or accurate71 429CJ & SCJ Mustang Torino
2 or 4 bolt mains

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
It's either a 429 or 460. Anything can happen internally, so can't be sure.
FDC - this is the correct answer. While that block is used for both 429 and 460 engines, it could be either, and may or may not have "CJ" specific parts inside it. The heads certainly are not the famed D0OE-R Cobra Jet heads, but the standard D0VE-C heads you have are great for street and can be ported to make lots of power.

I do not think any "-A" blocks were true CJ blocks with 4-bolt mains, and are considered 'standard'. CJ block numbers ended with -AA, -A2, -A2B, etc., and although those had thick webs, not all were 4-bolt main either.

That's not a problem for your application, and the 429/460 (a.k.a., "Lima" or "385 Series") is an excellent basic design. Any 429/460 block can be built for enormous power, and your D1VE-A block should be fine as it is. The D1VE block was made from 1970 to 1979 IIRC, and the D0VE-C heads from '70-'73. So, yours is a swap engine, and many have found it to be a good engine choice in a Galaxie. Enjoy it!
:tup:
David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ! I think I will, its such a smooth running engine but can tell it
can pack some power. I haven't really driven the car much, besides the 6 blocks from
my old shop to new. Seems awesome though. I would like to make this into a cool car, and
maybe add a little bit of more power. :)
So if I remove the oil pan should I be able to know more exactly, the components or type of the engine?

Thanks again.

-FDC

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
You could just for curiosity. But, at this point and for your application it, doesn't really matter. Whatever is in there is good enough. In-fact, there is little to see other than possibly identifying the pistons as CJ or SCJ, where the CJ pistons were cast, and SCJ were forged (some say both were forged though I have not seen that). The cranks were all the same, and the rods were marginally stronger with oval-headed bolts.

To be honest, with today's pump gas the standard dished piston would probably be most useful to you, and likely what you have anyway. That can be determined from the spark plug hole with a cheap fiber optic viewer. The cam must be measured (from the top) to know it's origin for sure, though may be identifiable by markings. However, none of this info is of particular importance at this time. When you get ready to jump into the engine work, we can determine what is in there and what options you have to meet your goals at that time. For now, drive it and enjoy it, and give yourself time to know what you really want to do with it and what it needs to get there.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're absolutely right David.
Will post some pics of the progress of the project.
Thanks for the knowledge & help in figuring this out.

Keep on keeping on..

Will be in touch about questions and opinions on what I plan to do with this awesome car.

-FDC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts