Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new single vac. dist with a pertronix III and the matching flame thrower III coil along with new plugs going in but nowhere does it suggest what gap to go to beyond stock , I would assume you can open it up due to the stronger spark but what to ? motor is a .030 over 302 , mild cam , edel. rpm intake , holley 600 , headers , yada yada , any help would be appreciated as im doing this today , Thanks

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Mike my man, you GET a stronger spark and more efficient spark delivery from the pertronix unit and coil, there's no need to increase your gap, that actually makes for a thinner spark down near the atomic scale of things, but a larger gap will do no more good that the original.

Of course I gap all my plugs in my old carb'd engines at about 35-38 thou regardless of manuf recommendation because I got a hard head.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I've always gapped mine at .035". I have the same Pertronix III system but it's mechanical advance - not that it matters.

You're gonna love the rev-limiter feature! I get to bounce mine off the limiter all the time with no worries of over-reving it! :D I set the shift light at 6,200 and the rev-limiter at 6,400 and it works out great. I get a brief second so I'll have some reaction time thrown-in on the 1-2 shift since it comes on pretty quickly.

Enjoy!

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the direction guys , I went ahead and set them at 35 and I cant believe how much better it runs , night and day - starts easier-revs quicker and no more miss , motor is still new at 1000 miles so not bouncing it off the limiter just yet so I left it at 5500 which I feel is safe enough till all else is worked out but damn she runs good now , I'm hating the holley so Im thinking edelbrock carb is next and alum. radiator with electric fan.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm not a fan of Edlebrock/Carter carbs. I went with the Proform Street/Strip 750DP. It's very much like a Holley in design. All polished aluminum main body and bowls with billet metering blocks and base plate. Other than idle mixture & speed and removing the choke system it's untouched as far as tuning. Love it!

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did check out the proforms 65flcnlvr but I believe even the 650 is too much carb for my app. , My warmed 302 if I did the math right only needs a 500 to be optimal all else is just too much carb , The Proforms are nice but also twice the price , Ive got a lead on a 500 street avenger new for $225.00 still a holley but its a good price for their newer style carb , Cant seem to tune the old holley now on it but also its too much carb and that cant be tuned out so....

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I did check out the proforms 65flcnlvr but I believe even the 650 is too much carb for my app. , My warmed 302 if I did the math right only needs a 500 to be optimal all else is just too much carb , The Proforms are nice but also twice the price , Ive got a lead on a 500 street avenger new for $225.00 still a holley but its a good price for their newer style carb , Cant seem to tune the old holley now on it but also its too much carb and that cant be tuned out so....
I didn't think about size when I said that, sorry. The Street Avenger sounds like the right choice and at that price even better.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.