Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be bagging the 63 Galaxie this winter and since the front end will be torn apart to put the air ride stuff on I figure I would replace all the old stuff. Is there a kit that I could buy that has all the pieces together. I will be replacing ball joints and such as well. Any good places to get all this stuff. Thanks for any help, JIMMY

·
Registered
139 Posts
A-restoring-parts.com, I just found this website today. Looks complete, cannot say i have used or know of anyone who has used them. Just a kit I found.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I will be bagging the 63 Galaxie this winter and since the front end will be torn apart to put the air ride stuff on I figure I would replace all the old stuff. Is there a kit that I could buy that has all the pieces together. I will be replacing ball joints and such as well. Any good places to get all this stuff. Thanks for any help, JIMMY
First off, there's almost nothing in a Galaxie suspension where urethane is applicable. Secondly, why would you want it?

About the only places you'd use it in a Galaxie suspension would be:

a) front lower arms (worst possible place for urethane)

b) spring eyes (sometimes useful on track cars to help with axle location but it will transmit more NVH - noise, vibration, harshness - into the car)

c) sway bar bushings (common, works fine if you grease them regularly, otherwise they'll squeak and wear.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
First off, there's almost nothing in a Galaxie suspension where urethane is applicable. Secondly, why would you want it?

About the only places you'd use it in a Galaxie suspension would be:

a) front lower arms (worst possible place for urethane)

b) spring eyes (sometimes useful on track cars to help with axle location but it will transmit more NVH - noise, vibration, harshness - into the car)

c) sway bar bushings (common, works fine if you grease them regularly, otherwise they'll squeak and wear.)
I agree. I'm not a fan of urethane unless it is on a race car. Even on leaf springs I only sell it for race or off road applications.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Polyurethane is an excellent choice anywhere better performance and less bushing deflection is desired.

Rubber control arms bushings distort when under load during a turn. This is transmitted to the tire. A stiffer polyurethane bushing keeps the tire where it is supposed to be.

Leaf springs are also huge. These use large bushings with a ton of flex in the front, and the rear shackles with their bushings on both top and bottom are also all over the place during cornering. Using polyurethane bushings on the rear leaf springs makes a huge difference in handling, as it helps keep the springs properly located, and keeps them from leaning and swaying all over the place. Rubber bushings here also aggravate wheel hop.

The only bad thing about polyurethane, is that they can squeak. To combat this, I coat them in a thick coating of silver anti-seize anywhere metal is sliding directly on them.

The only place polyurethane should not be used, is on strut rod bushings, as they can inhibit the movement of the strut rod, and cause it to flex. This can eventually fatigue it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Good to know, I was told that polyurethane or the red color bushings were the way to go for updating. JIMMY
If its going to be auto-crossed or beat on with regularity maybe, for a normal cruiser not necessary, the factory style rubber will work just fine. (and be quieter to boot)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts