Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to plug John over at Pony Carbs in Las Cruces,Nm. The web site is:[email protected] ,1-866-265-7669. He specializes in Ford style carbs such as the Autolite 1100, 2100 and 4100 series. After not being very satisfied with the 1850 series 600 Holley, and a 600 Cfm Edelbrock on my 5.0 equipped '63 Ranchero, I bought a 480 Cfm 4100 series carb on Ebay and sent it to Pony Carbs. For $249.00 plus parts, it was totally rebuilt, some of the passages were modified, and the throttle bores were re-bushed. Everything is polished with jewel like precision, the carbs are run tested, and shipped back with an installation video as well as full written instructions. The 4100 carb is the best carb ever made in my opinion. The Ranchero runs awesome!!! The throttle response is great, driveability is fantastic, and the mileage is at least 4-5 MPG better. He can also sell you one of his 4100 cores if you do not have one.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was disapointed with them and so was my uncle. I installed one of their carbs on a 6 cyl Mustang that a customer brought to me. The car hesitated bad and lacked power after installing the carb. The customer called back and told them the problem. They said the guy that installed it did not know what he was doing. My customer lost faith in my ability and knowledge. Pony carbs called me direct and told me there was no way anything was wrong with the carb because every carb is run on an engine before it is sent out. I told them this carb was dead lean in the main circuit and I even use to work at a carb shop years ago and I knew what I was doing. After agruing with Pony Carbs for 15 minutes and asking why they dont stand behind there products like they say they do he finally agreed to send us another carb but that would not fix the problem. After almost 2 weeks of sending the old carb back and getting the new carb, the car ran fine.

My uncle got a Pony Carb for his 289 and one of the screws in either the butterfly or the carb base fell out and into the engine. I dont remember the details but the pulled one of the heads and found it. Thank God no damage was done. When he called Pony and told them what happened they really didnt care.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'll never buy anything from Ponycarbs again! I sent them a Autolite 4300 for my '67 a-code fastback. First they claimed they never received the carb. Then it took them 6 weeks for the rebuild.
When I finally got the carb back it looked great, but the car ran extremely lean with it. Ponycarbs kept insisting it was my timing when the car was surging at every speed! Ponycarbs assumes everybody is stupid, and they know everyhing.
Since you break your 'warranty' when you open the carb, I had to send it back to have it checked. Turns out there was packaging material blocking one of the main jets!
When the carb returned I still had to adjust the floats as they were set so low the main jets were running dry in long corners. I had to up the main jets one size as well to get the AF-ratio perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I dont like the guy either. As a carb guy, he uses the worst method for tuning I ever have seen, and it does is cover his own tail

- Advance the timing until it pings at light load, then come back.

No regard to total timing, all it does in make sure that no matter how horribly lean or rich, the car doesnt necessarily ping at light levels, and he doesnt get come-backs

Then the guy burns a piston because he has way too much timing, or he leaves power on the table because he was too retarded

The guy does some crazy things from a tuning perspective, and if you ask him why, he yells at you. You cant even set float level without breaking warranty, and how can he set float level not knowing what YOUR fuel pressure is. HE can only get close

I personally dont like the company after dealing with him a couple times with customer come-backs that traced back to his "mods"

HOWEVER, seriously though, if your car runs good, thats really the bottom line, you are clearly above the average hot rodder, so I am sure you know if that carb is good or bad

My experience was with his CJ Holleys, not with the Ford carbs.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The timing bit is what he told me" the balancer has slipped and you dont have the timing set properly". I told him I already have the timing on the high side and if I go any higher that this motor will spark knock it self to death. He then told me the motor must be worn out. " Sorry but I did a compression test on the engine. I know better then that. After 20 years of professionally working on cars , I know how to tune a motor and how a carb should work".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts