Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After winter accomodation I notice that the 302 engine in my 1968 Mustang has poor idle while the automatic transmission is either in Drive or Reverse and the brake pedal is simultaniosly engaged. Putting the transmission lever to Neutral or Park positions while still holding the brake pedal the idle goes back to normal.
The only thing which was modified during the winter was the brake fluid which was converted to Dot5 silicone while replacing the brake hoses. The car is otherways totally restored.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Check you modulator valve for leak.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Does it do it when just the park brake is applyed and not the pedal brake?? This would eleminate the brake booster as a factor.
tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-07-10 07:42, pedal2themetal45 wrote:
Does it do it when just the park brake is applyed and not the pedal brake?? This would eleminate the brake booster as a factor.
tim
When using the brake pedal together with the shifter in drive or reverse. The engine still remains going, just with poorer idle.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Classic symptoms of a failing brake booster. Stand as hard as ya can on the brakes, if the idle gets even worse, or it dies, BINGO! Booster is bad.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well that sucks

Sounds like a bad booster to me too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 7/10/06 11:41pm ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts