Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I matched my intake gaskets to the cylinder head, so can I match up the intake manifold a little bit too? I'm using a Weiand Stealth Intake and it looks like the runners close up a little bit at the end to match "stock" head ports.

Seems like it would make sense to port them as long as I didn't go any larger than the head ports.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When I matched my intake I used a little glue on the heads to hold to the gasket in place. You don't want to use to much. I use 3M weather strip adhesive.
Then I use a lot more on the intake and bolt it down. After it has set awhile pull the intake off and be careful not to leave the gasket on the head you want it to stick to the intake. Know you can see how good it lines up and grind away.
8)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Bruce,
you are nearly finished your project ,-very well.
Before porting the intake I woud go this way-

first fix and torque the intake on the block,
then mark the gasket on both sites on the heads and the intake.
then put that off and now you can see by that marks ,how the gasket will sit later.
Now it is easy to port-match all.
Hope it helps
Robbi

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robbi,

I'm getting closer... Just bolted everything up and it looks like I'm going to need to get my intake manifold machined a little.

The top of the intake port lines up with the top of the cylinder head port. Sounds good but there is about 3/8" between the bottom of the intake port to the bottom of the cylinder head port - not good.

I had the block decked .015 and the heads .009 - If I take off .010 from the intake I imagine things will line up better and I won't need to grind so much on one side of the intake to match them up.

Damn, did that make any sense????

·
Registered
53 Posts
As mentioned by Jami1775, leave a little extra, about .1" all around. I feel there are far to many disadvantages to an exact port match than there are advantages to a 'close' port match.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i am currently porting my rpm intake.
Is is taking a long time to do each port, but i have 5 done already. Hopefully i can finish this week and get the engine running beofore i have to leave for school. I will post any difference of power that I feel. The ports on my heads extented almost all the way to gasket edges but the intake parts were a lot smaller, so I hope there will be a decent improvement

1 - 8 of 8 Posts