Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little carried away and made a hole where the port necks down for the pushrod . I know some shops intentionally do this to maximize the width of this area. They then epoxy a small brass or copper tube in place. I'm wondering if anyone tried this themselves. If so did you use a full tube to go all the way around the circumference of the pushrod hole or slit the tube lenghtwise and only use half a tube? Did you you have any troubles with pushrod hitting anywhere on the tube?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
123 Posts
i too have done it accidently. i went to the welding supply shop and bought a couple cast-iron welding rods and welded it up. now, the tubes to straighten out the ports only become efficent(and practical) if you are limited to that specific head and have unlimited resources... it isn't cost effictive for no more gain that will be acheived!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
When i did my 351 heads back 16 years ago there wasent any other heads to be had at the time. We allways tubed the push rod holes to make the port bigger. What i would do is take a under size 5/8 end mill and strighten out the hole and ream it 5/8ths put a piece of conduit in it end epoxy it in. Those heads are still running today in a 82 mustang running 11.35 to 11.65 depending on the weather.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I've done this a few times... and JB-Weld has always worked for me.

It won't work with the extreme heat of an exhaust port, but it works great on intakes. If the hole is really large, get some fine wire screen to put over the hole before the JB-Weld goes on. Do this, and make sure everything is CLEAN.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
One thing to add... when repairing holes like this with an epoxy like JB-Weld, spread the stuff over a decent sized area, preferably on BOTH sides of the crack/hole. This will make the epoxy much less likely to ever come loose. (I've never had any problems with it.) JB-Weld is my friend.

Sleeving is of course the best way, but epoxy works great for small holes in intake ports.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I got the tubing last night and will install it tonight.
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts