Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a air die grinder and the carbide bit set up from Eastwood. Since I'm basically grinding at all times, the compressor is always running, and only able to put our 70psi or so. Anyway, This is taking FOREVER!
I realize it was going to take a while, but its taking me 2-3 hrs per exhaust port. ( I'm not going to touch the intake side.
Am I on track here? or am I doing something wrong to take this long???
Thanks....

·
Registered
660 Posts
The carbide bit you have may not be that aggresive. I'd look for one that has a little more bite to it, and use the one you have now for "finish" work.

An air die grinder is about the most power you are going to get, I usually run mine between 30 and 60 psi depending on how heavy I'm cutting. Should be plenty of power.

It does take a long time though! I'm sure I spent at least an hour or so on each port. It was not a matter of cutting to slow, but more not trying to cut into a water jacket!

Grind away!

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
EBAY has electric die grinders that spin around 25,000 rpm for less than $20. Just be sure to pay a visit to the local hardware store for a "dimmer" switch. These are made for lights, and most are rated at 300W, which is right around the power rating of those grinders. They work great as speed controls.

Oh, by the way, carbide burrs and sanding rolls (cartridge rolls) only like around 12,000 rpm. More than this will make a carbide burr dull out or chip, and will make a sanding roll last around 30 seconds.

Check out...

www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm

for a good tutorial on how to clean up a set of heads. They also offer tons of products, including extra long mandrels for the cartridge rolls that allow you to reach as far as you want. You should be able to follow the links to their product page from above.

I have two of the bluish-green ebay grinders, and they work fine. The collets were a little tight for most burrs, but I was able to ream them out a little with a drill, and now they fit fine. Those dimmers are cheap at WalMart or any hardware store.

Be sure to wear good eye protection, and a respirator when using cartridge rolls... they make a LOT of dust. If you don't have a real respirator, at least use a GOOD dust mask.

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts