Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I grind the valve guide bosses down on both the intake and exhaust, and let about a 1/4" of the guide stick out, will this cause any problems on a daily driver? On the Exh. side im going to make the roof of the runner a straight line shot all the way out, and then install the guide, so the guide will then be more exposed on one side than another. On the Int. side im going to shape the valve guide boss into a tear drop, and mill the top of the boss off 1/4". I will then install the guide so that 1/4" is exposed. The cam im going to use has a lift of 512, and im going to use roller rockers as well. Will this be ok for a daily driver or will it cause problems? Will the extrusion of the guides imped the flow?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Sounds good.

My exhausts are very similar, only I had the bronze guides installed before porting, and still cut the roof out as a straight shot from the bowl on out. I lost about 1/4" of guide or so, but considering it's full length... no big deal.
Just stay off the exhaust floor, except for smoothing, and by all means, don't lower the exhaust floor exit... it's really thin there. Hog out the roof and sides (while attempting to center the guide in the port as much as you dare, smooth the bowls, and be happy.

The intake sounds good. Do as much research as you can, and do what looks right. Avoid digging into the short side radius too much. Just round it as gently as possible. Pay close attention to the bowls. If larger valves are being installed, unshrouding the valves is extremely important.

80% of you gains are going to be had within 2" of the valve seat. Pay close to this area, and hog the exhausts out the best you can.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you haven't already, take a look at the pictures in the archieve under porting.

Using roller rockers will help take a little stress off the guides and will make up for the amount you remove from the guide boss.

Sounds like you have a handle on it! Grind away!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your help. I have seen the home ported heads seaction on this forum, and I like both falcon's and robbi's port work
. Maby when I finish my heads ill post some pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts