Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well, no but I do have the better case 1965 Galaxie one, non posi though. The pig is the war or "N" case whichever one with 2 vertical bars instead of one. Also have 28 splined 64 axles and the pig for that too, non posi, sorry about the non posi response. Also, both gear sets are 3.00:1 I think. Will sell all for $250 obo if interested, but I'm across from Detroit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On 2006-05-24 14:01, 64GALAXIE514 wrote:
Well, no but I do have the better case 1965 Galaxie one, non posi though. The pig is the war or "N" case whichever one with 2 vertical bars instead of one. Also have 28 splined 64 axles and the pig for that too, non posi, sorry about the non posi response. Also, both gear sets are 3.00:1 I think. Will sell all for $250 obo if interested, but I'm across from Detroit.

Just a note - the WAR and the N cases are radically different in value. The WAR cases are known to be brittle and among the weakest carriers that ford put out and the "N" cases were among the strongest - being made of nodular iron. If memory serves the N cases were used in many factory 427 cars and in some of the SCJ equipped vehicles. They both have two vertical ribs up front but he "N" case will have a large "N" cast into the front of the housing.

There is lots of good information about 9" cases here:
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Remembering to live Coram Deo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 65Custom on 5/25/06 11:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
981 Posts
Went out to check the case today, and if it were an "N", it would be cast somewhere, no? Well in any case, mine doesn't have any "n" anywhere so guess it's a war one. All I was told it was out of a 65, bought it for brake pieces that I never ended up using or it didn't have em so there it sits.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i have the carrier out of a 1964 galaxie with a 28 spline. its non posi, but it may need to be rebuilt and can be easily added. i know that the pinion seal will need to be replaced though.

and its 3.50 to 1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garreett0 on 5/27/06 11:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a couple of guys on ebay that specialize in the 9" 28 & 31 spline third members. Take outs (used) are like 250, rebuilt (new bearings, clutch pack)) like 400, and remanufactured (all the above with new gears like 550). Got mine there and have not had any problems. Have no clue what it came out of, probably a Bronco. Slipped right in and off I went.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A little off topic but as mentioned earlier about "N" cases versus "WAR" cases, I read while looking for something else that it may have been an "N" casing, the one I have from a 65 Gal, because they never had a casting of "N" in the pig until 1970 or something, so just a little info when looking boys and girls. I don't think mine is anything more than a WAR, but just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts