Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forums here. Years ago, right out of high school I had a '68 futura sport coupe w/289 auto and power disc brakes. The car was straight with strong paint, and a vinyl top. It was a real looker from the outside..... the interior, not so much. Seats and headliner are trashed and look terribad.

While I had it, I rebuilt the 302 engine that is in it, going .030 over, mild (too mild) cam, and a set of 289 heads that are apparently off of the original engine. Being a stupid kid at the time, all the new found power gave way to me having to rebuild the C4 transmission. When I did that one, it was my first ford tranny (gm man here). It was surprisingly easy and very cheap to rebuild, I think the kit was like $60, the shift kit was $40ish, and the converter was $100. I wound up dealing the car off some time later.

Fast forward 13yrs. The car has been owned by my (very good) friends since I last had it. It's been inside, or under a car port since theyve had it and it really was never driven. If the car has been 100miles in 13 years I'd be surprised. The trans was taken for another project, yet recently replaced with ANOTHER newly rebuilt tranny, as in no fluid in it yet lol. The main reason I got rid of it was a leaky gas tank that I never could find a suitable replacement for. Well It has a brand new tank and sender, NIB Edelbrock 600, and a B&M Shifter.

The bad- Vinyl top...... The roof was very bad. rust had gotten under the top and it literally had holes in it. My friend had it removed and fixed the rust, but instead of painting it, it looks like he had what I can only describe as a bedliner type paint on it. It's textured and actually looks sort of like vinyl, only without the soft touch. As for the other paint, its still pretty strong it appears, its just very dusty from being inside a shop for years.

The interior still looks like ****. He's wanting $4k for it. Wrenching on it is no problem at all and the only time Id be sending it to a shop is for an alignment of something like that. Is this a good deal? Im thinking he's a touch high.

Opinions are welcome, I need some input.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey,

It really depends on a lot of things when it comes to "what is it worth?"

Location, condition, supply and demand locally...

The one thing it has that no other one will have is that you used to own it in your youth and I am sure that is the big draw for you.

A friend of mine just bought back a VW bus that he sold 11 years ago. He spent $25,000 building it....sold it for $8,000 when he was getting married.....and just bought it back for $17,000. Same bus, same condition except it is missing some neat parts. At the end of the day for him it was more about getting the bus back that he built (also just out of high school).

If you want it and can afford to pay the price it is a good deal for you. If you can bargain him down somewhat without wrecking your friendship even better.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Sentimental value can't be overstated. My dad restored and sold a '24 Model T before I was born. When I was about 35 he bought the same car back!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree Sentimental Value can not be appraised. I regret saling 2 vehicles of my past a radical customized 67' VW Beetle and a bone stock 69' Bronco. If I could go back in time, I would have kept either or both. I have known people to be fortunate enough to get back a lost love and finish restoring or find it totaly restored. I have seen guys restore POS cars and spend x10 more than it is worth.
A co-worker (A classic Chevy P/u fan) told me. If you plan to keep it spend whatever you want. If you remotely consider saling it. Just do what is needed to sale.
People are into Classic Cars as imerely investments. My wife views cars as what Henry Ford intended... Transportation. Nothing more. I find both extreme views irritating. Why my skills are limited, my appreciation of all vehicles is as high as anyone, and my desire to keep what I have better than I found it. But my 63' Wagon gets me to work most days.. Unless its bad weather.. ha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input and find it quite helpful. Im going to do like you said and see if I can bargain with him a bit, but at the end of the day, I know he's in a bind and its my friend, so I'll get a little less of a deal than I hoped, but it will get him out of a tight spot...... It's a win win. I think Im going to go ahead and get it. Even if the car sits for another 2 or 3 years until I can put some cash together to get it going, its not going to hurt it.

I think it will be worth it overall. I am very handy on cars, except for body and upholstery. Coincidentally, those are the two weak spots on the car. The roof scares me a bit, but im thinking about just getting the car to a body shop and having them redo the roof in a solid black. As for interior, i saw one of the other threads here on this forum where a user used new model seats from a wrecking yard. I think that might be a cheaper alternative than having the original ones redone. I honestly never even thought of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts