Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting to the point where I am ready to redo my door panels on my 66 Galaxie. I would like to see pics from anybody who made their own panels or who has had an interior shop make custom panels for them. Also, I would like to know what kind of fabric is being used.

I have been doing some reading up and it looks like Marine Vinyl is the way to go as far as door panel fabric. Is this correct?

Other questions I have:
Do you just use some spray adhesive to glue the fabric to the door panel?
Do you install some kind of foam under the new fabric?
Is there anywhere to get fabric similar to the pattern that originally came on the car?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I think the answer to each question is yes, but there would be many options and variables. Places like SMS Auto Fabrics and Original Auto Interiors have original vinyls, but most original door panels have embossed sections, so that would be difficult to replicate at home. The places mentioned previous, and many others, could probably make replicas of the originals. If you're going custom, you can make them anything you want, from any material you want.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I used Marine Mellohide from A-1
BISCAYNE "MELLOHIDE" - A-1 Foam & Fabrics. Good service, the vinyl isgood nice and thick, but tough to keep clean. Probably it is a Naugahide clone, maybe the original stuff would have been tougher.

Here are some random thoughts from when I worked on my panels years ago.

When it comes to upholstery get the thickest stiffest stuff, not the 4-way with no backing, etc. That stuff won't take glue.

I laid a 1/4" foam under mine but ran it all the way to the door edge. You should stop short so the door will close better. Re-use the strip on the inside top, it hooks down into the window channel and keeps the panel from popping out when you hit a bump. The panel itself had some bad spots. If yours does, handle it with patches, fiberglass, new 1/8" hardboard, etc, just don't freak out about it, that's what the vinyl covering is for :). Don't lose the clips that lets you attach the panel to the door.

On mine (pic) I cut out the rectangle and covered it in white and stuck the rectangle back in the hole.. Came out pretty good but I should have made some piping to go around. point is, try different stuff, what's the worst that can happen?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I will continue to do some reading up and probably buy some books on auto interior before I dive into it and order several different fabric samples.

Another issue I have to deal with is those plastic armrests!!!! The mounting portion of them is broken on my front passenger door and the ashtray part is broken on my drivers door. I have been thinking of trying to make some out of metal to go back with after I redo the door panels.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I will continue to do some reading up and probably buy some books on auto interior before I dive into it and order several different fabric samples.

Another issue I have to deal with is those plastic armrests!!!! The mounting portion of them is broken on my front passenger door and the ashtray part is broken on my drivers door. I have been thinking of trying to make some out of metal to go back with after I redo the door panels.
If you're not staying stock, the mustang had similar armrests but they just weren't as deep. They are much easier to find and are available from aftermarket sites as well.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're not staying stock, the mustang had similar armrests but they just weren't as deep. They are much easier to find and are available from aftermarket sites as well.
I'm not staying stock. Do you know what years of mustang armrest had the same boltholes? Are yours from a mustang?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The mustang armrest are thinner than the original ones but they still feel food for resting your arm and closing the door!! Here are some pics for comparison.

They are made by Scott Drake. Part #KIT-INT-2-BK

Here it is installed on the door. Can't wait to see how they will look once I get these door panels redone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts